Name this bow

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Hill billy

Re: Name this bow

#31 Post by Hill billy »

Grizzly wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:24 pm I love those old bows. The extra weight in that riser should help her hold steady. Finding the grip you like really makes the bow come alive in your hand. Did you use a stick on rest with that flat shelf?
Grizzly I considered a rest but I have never used one. I would be curious to know how it would do. It had a stick on, on it that I removed because it was in poor condition. I need to order one . Believe this bow was prolly designed for a rest
I used velcro for starters.

Grizzly

#32 Post by Grizzly »

The old trick for velcro or any rug rest is to put a piece of wooden matchstick shortways across the the rest and under the velcro or rug. This raises the arrow onto a smaller platform, somewhat like an elevated stick on rest. It raises the arrow contact point above that long flat rest your bow has. I would think that way any movement of the bow during the shot has less effect on the arrow. Now, if I remember right, you place the matchstick or the arrow contact portion of the stick on rest, (where the arrow sits on the rest), directly above the deepest part of the grip where your hand contacts it.

Bows designed for an elevated rest have a hole drilled into the riser for a plunger which rides against the shaft. I went and looked at a few recurves designed for an elevated rest that have a plunger hole (which orients where the rest will be placed on the bow). The arrow contact point on the elevated rest seems to be in line with the where your hand contacts the grip on my old Hoyt recurve riser that was designed for the junior Olympics and for an elevated rest with a plunger hole. Yours doesn't have the plunger hole, for a plunger which when adjusted correctly takes a stiffer arrow than we would normally choose with only a stick on rest.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Grizzly

#33 Post by Grizzly »

I've never done any scientific testing and kept any records as to whether a stick on rest is better than the old matchstick under the rug method. But generally, you will find that those who seek after every ounce of accuracy use stick on rests and plungers. For up close 3d and hunting, either way works. if you might have an arrow fall from an elevated rest just as the deer comes into your shooting lane, you might want the rug rest. That is if you have learned how not to pull the arrow off the rest during the draw :lol: as so many of us have done in the past.

I've hunted and played both ways. Years ago, archery as in field archery was much tougher than todays up close 3d and that is when many began to perfect their arrow flight with elevated rests and plungers and even sights :shock:

Your riser with the extra weight built in is probably a product of those years. I have a Root recurve, I think a Range Master with weight and a flat shelf similar to yours that I shot my best 3d score ever with off a stick on elevated rest and 1816 shafts with very light points. It was the 1st time I ever went around a coarse with no wounds and averaged all tens for a 300 score exactly. If I shot an 8, I was able to balance it with a 12. Just one of those days when everything went well. :D
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Hill billy

#34 Post by Hill billy »

Grizzly I really appreciate your info. I was wondering about placing somthing under the velcro. When you mentioned the match stick it jarred my memory of reading that in the past.But i had know idea of the proper placement. Im not all that excited about getting use to a shelf again. This bow prolly looks like it would have a little extra weight in the riser and probaby does but it is a very light bow. I have gotten side tracked a lot during the holiday season but I intend on adding a quiver and expermenting more tomorrow. I'll keep yall posted.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#35 Post by Captainkirk »

Grizzly has probably forgotten more than I ever knew about archery!
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#36 Post by stumper »

Thought about a feather rest? Kinda thre best ox both worlds.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “Campfire”