Brotherly Love

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Greg Felty

Brotherly Love

#1 Post by Greg Felty »

NEWAYGO COUNTY, MI – There’s family drama. And then there’s family drama during hunting season.

A DNR conservation officer recently learned that firsthand when he investigated a dispute between two brothers in which one of them eventually admitted to spraying deer repellent around his brother’s hunting stands.

According to an official report, the ordeal took place in Newaygo County at the start of firearm season when CO Mike Wells received a complaint of hunter harassment.

After meeting with the complainant, he was given two SD cards from trail cameras that showed a subject wearing a yellow backpack sprayer who was covering two hunting stands located on U.S. Forest Service property with an unknown substance.

The complainant identified the subject as his brother and said the property is located next to a private camp willed to him and his brother by their father. He added that he was extremely frustrated by his brother’s continued harassment while he was on the private property.

CO Wells followed the complainant to the stand locations and collected evidence samples of an unknown liquid.

On the morning of the firearm deer season, CO Wells approached the suspect brother while he was hunting in his blind on the private camp. According to the report, it was discovered that the suspect brother was illegally hunting over bait.

CO Wells interviewed the suspect brother, showing him one of the trail camera’s photographs. The suspect brother immediately admitted that he had sprayed both blinds because his brother was intentionally cutting off the deer by hunting the public land next to the camp.

CO Wells inquired as to what was sprayed on the blinds and the suspect brother stated that it was “liquid fence,” which is a substance used to deter deer from the area.

When CO Wells asked the subject why he sprayed the blinds, he admitted it was to scare the deer away. He later apologized and admitted that he let his emotions get the best of him.

A warrant request has been submitted for hunter harassment and baiting deer when prohibited.

Newaygo County is in DNR District 4 which also includes Benzie, Grand Traverse, Lake, Leelanau, Manistee, Mason, Mecosta, Oceana, Osceola and Wexford counties.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Brotherly Love

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Wow. "Am I my brother's keeper?"
Yes, Cain. Yes, you are.
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#3 Post by Grizzly »

Another story for the Conservation Officer to tell in his old age.

I got to the point that I really tried not to hunt near property lines. They are sometimes like major nerve centers.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Hill billy

#4 Post by Hill billy »

Lol!! I cant wait tell my bro about this. It is good that he can be charged with hunter harassment.
This would help in the defense of anti hunters harassing other hunters.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

Okay. Just when you think you’ve heard it all... :shock: :o :? :lol:

Elkman
Site Admin

#6 Post by Elkman »

Carpdaddy wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:39 pm Okay. Just when you think you’ve heard it all... :shock: :o :? :lol:
That's for sure.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Return to “Campfire”