I knew I should have moved to Maine

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Grizzly

I knew I should have moved to Maine

#1 Post by Grizzly »

On a defensive forum folks were bemoaning living in NY and NJ due to terribly restrictive gun laws. I said how I left both states and moved to Illinois which is better but not by much. Later I posted that I should have moved to Maine, bought a 30-06 and had the chamber reamed for Ackley Improved and hunt for a Moose each year. Hears an interesting news article from Northern Maine about a huge deer taken.

https://bangordailynews.com/2019/12/02/ ... f-his-own/

32078621_H25763341-720x445.jpg
32078621_H25763341-720x445.jpg (77.5 KiB) Viewed 252 times
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Grizzly

Re: I knew I should have moved to Maine

#2 Post by Grizzly »

This little quip from Norther Maine reminds me of hunting with Dad in upstate NY in my youth. They still "still hunt" up there. In most of the country stand hunting is how it's done unless like many, you don't care for heights and hunt on the ground. Reading this reminded me of the book Dad made me read before I could hunt deer with him, "Shots at Whitetails" written in the late 1940's.

https://bangordailynews.com/2019/11/25/ ... ting-tips/
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

EWill

#3 Post by EWill »

Yeah, can't fill your tags from the couch, I know from exerience.

Grizzly

#4 Post by Grizzly »

Yup, that's how I shot my first turkey. I was new at it and went out with my wife's cousin and his two boys calling and sitting. They switched to hunting mushrooms as soon as they noticed a few and I had no choice but to do the same. Then it started raining and they still hunted mushrooms as we worked our way back to the house to wait it out. Well, they saw a NASCAR race come on and stayed planted on the couch. After a while it stopped and I asked if they were going back out. Nope, they watched their race so I said I'd go back out. Called two tomes up a hill but got out positioned by them and couldn't turn for a sitting shot and they went back down the hill. I re positioned , standing against a tree this time and called one back up the hill for my first tom, a nice 20+pounder with a 9 or 10 inch beard and over an inch spurs. You snooze, you loose. :D

Actually, I thought he was a small bird at the time. During the week prior a friend at work shot his first tom that was upwards of 30 pounds. He'd made the mistake of field dressing it before it was weighed and was told it might have been a state record or close to it. :o After seeing that bird, my nice bird looked like a pheasant by comparison. :?

Return to “Campfire”