Elk hunting

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Hill billy

Elk hunting

#1 Post by Hill billy »

Hey guys! Between getting caught up at the business after hunting all fall and getting a new phone that I’m learning to use I have been a little quiet. But I am trying to plan an elk hunt this fall. I have talked to a reputable outfitter and there is a couple diy hunts on private property with access to public that looks inviting and also a possible drop camp. Problem I have is it takes a minimum of 2 to book these hunts. These are in Colorado but I’m might be open to another state. If anyone is interested shoot me a pm and we can talk about some options. I hope to be in the high country this fall. I have been on several diy hunts and had some pretty good times but can’t seem to punch an elk tag. So the challenge continues.

elkslayer4x5

Re: Elk hunting

#2 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Good Luck!

Hill billy

#3 Post by Hill billy »

Lol thanks I need someone with the name like Elk Slayer to accompany me with the record I’m carrying around on elk.elk is my nemesis. But I love the high country. Ok everyone don’t jump in at once :lol:

elkslayer4x5

#4 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

As fun as it would be to join you, I have two elk species and 3 deer species here at home. :D Probably should expalain that. Oregon has Blacktail and Muledeer, sorta separated by the Cascades. It's the sorta that confuses thing. First a mule deer is the offspring of whitetail does and blacktail bucks. And in the Cascades, mule deer bucks are larger the resulting blacktail/mulie cross, so much so that any deer taken from the Cascade summit west to Interstate 5 IS a Hybrid, west of I-5, they're blacktails. Plus our bears, and other critters.
Dinner date.jpg
Dinner date.jpg (124.34 KiB) Viewed 293 times

Grizzly

#5 Post by Grizzly »

I'd love to but it would have had to have been about 20 or 30 years ago or more. I have to care for my wife now and I'm lucky to get back from the store sometimes without her needing my help. It all started with a Harley ride years ago before I met her. They hit a tree and it took off her leg and killed the man she was riding with. During that time, I was in Viet Nam and remember talking to someone I met over there as he told me about her. Who'd have known? In all the years since, she has worn out her other leg and just can't get around anymore. But in the life we've shared together, we shared many an outdoor adventure like climbing on the rocks together at Garden of the Gods in Southern Illinois, shooting at most of the 3d shoots in Illinois and some surrounding states, and hunting deer together from our van camp on a family farm of her relatives. I'd be off in a stand and she'd be talking to the deer outside the van window. We even had a big john boat converted so that she had a handrail to get in and she'd fish from the seat next to the steering wheel. Many good times but no elk hunts. One time in South Dakota I spotted a big bull up on a hill nearby. We were traveling through Custer State Park coming back from my brother's house in N. Dak, and I wanted to stalk up there with a camera. I let her talk me out of it and still wish I'd tried it. I hope you enjoy your quest for an elk.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Greg Felty

#6 Post by Greg Felty »

I would love to go and listen to the elk bugle but i have no interest in shooting one any more. A few years ago I would have loved to go, but the old bones are saying no.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

elkslayer4x5

#7 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Any one else want to chase Elk? These are California Elk, any body know which species they are? California has all three species, Rocky Mountain, Roosevelt, and Tule elk. If you've been studying elk, there are clues in these pics. :D
Velvet.JPG
Velvet.JPG (139.71 KiB) Viewed 281 times
Seaside.JPG
Seaside.JPG (105.81 KiB) Viewed 281 times
Close enough.JPG
Close enough.JPG (207.93 KiB) Viewed 281 times
This young 6x6 sure is large but notice the scars on him, particularly on his shoulder. Any guesses as to what caused those scars?
Scar2.JPG
Scar2.JPG (67.89 KiB) Viewed 281 times

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#8 Post by Carpdaddy »

My mind says “Oh boy I’m in” but unfortunately my body screams that those days are behind! Enjoyed one trip back in the early 90’s, a few close calls on an enjoyable trip, but nothing within bow range. Do it while you can and post plenty of pictures!

Hill billy

#9 Post by Hill billy »

Yes gentlemen unfortunately none of us are getting any younger and sometimes we just have to give up some things in life for higher priorities. I completely understand and respect everyone’s unique predicament completely. I feel as though it’s time for me to try and get a few more hunts in before the body just completely starts telling me no. If I get something nailed down I will certainly try to bring everyone along via tradhunter :D

Hill billy

#10 Post by Hill billy »

elkslayer4x5 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:48 am Any one else want to chase Elk? These are California Elk, any body know which species they are? California has all three species, Rocky Mountain, Roosevelt, and Tule elk. If you've been studying elk, there are clues in these pics. :D
Velvet.JPGSeaside.JPGClose enough.JPG

This young 6x6 sure is large but notice the scars on him, particularly on his shoulder. Any guesses as to what caused those scars?
Scar2.JPG
Great pics elk slayer I’m not knowledgeable enough to know the difference in those elk I’m just sure I want to be in front of one.

Return to “Campfire”