Elk hunting

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Grizzly

Re: Elk hunting

#11 Post by Grizzly »

Well, they are too small to be Rocky Mountain elk, since we've all seen those. Same for the Roosevelt elk. So that leaves Tule Elk which I'm not at all familiar with. I like their smaller size, but I imagine they would still be a chore to pack out.Beautiful animal.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

elkslayer4x5

#12 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Grizzly wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:11 am Well, they are too small to be Rocky Mountain elk, since we've all seen those. Same for the Roosevelt elk. So that leaves Tule Elk which I'm not at all familiar with. I like their smaller size, but I imagine they would still be a chore to pack out.Beautiful animal.
Which elk's antlers are often "crowned"? Where are Roosevelt elk found? You noticed that they were all young bulls? These are Roosevelt Elk part of a bachelor herd several miles south of Needle Rock I California's Sinkyone Wilderness, ( The Lost Coast) at the Usal town site.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Coast

They only look small. The only thing "bigger " about Rocky Mountain Elk is the antlers, Roosevelts out weigh them. Roosevelts are also quiet when compared with their cousins. Tule elk are small, a big bull might weigh 800 lbs. But the one I have been around are loud mouthed critters, when it's that time, they bugle almost non stop!

Hill billy

#13 Post by Hill billy »

Thanks for the info. I learned something for sure.

elkslayer4x5

#14 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Here's a look a small herd of Tule elk. Sorry for the photo quality, my first photos with a digital camera. This is at Lake Pillsbury, Lake Co, CA.
cows.JPG
cows.JPG (54.83 KiB) Viewed 181 times
Cows and spikes.JPG
Cows and spikes.JPG (59.3 KiB) Viewed 181 times
Spikes.JPG
Spikes.JPG (63.36 KiB) Viewed 181 times
Tule bulll pup.JPG
Tule bulll pup.JPG (42.87 KiB) Viewed 181 times
bigger bull.JPG
bigger bull.JPG (148.53 KiB) Viewed 181 times
Saw this herd of Roosevelts at Stone Lagoon on Hwy 101 North of Eureka, CA. This in a big boy, weighs around 1200 lbs, or about the same as a Morgan horse. The cows picture are about a 1/3 of what was with him and that other bull (next to flag pole). Funny thing, as I left the parking lot where I took these pic, the hwy climbs a steep hill, and down below the hyw 500 yds or so off was a larger head being chased under cover by their herd bull , who may have been bigger that this guy. I get 10 x 10.
Broadside s SL bull.JPG
Broadside s SL bull.JPG (74.26 KiB) Viewed 181 times
Stone Lagoon bull.JPG
Stone Lagoon bull.JPG (79.81 KiB) Viewed 181 times
Some of his ladies.JPG
Some of his ladies.JPG (92.2 KiB) Viewed 181 times
Attachments
Resting.JPG
Resting.JPG (80.84 KiB) Viewed 181 times

Hill billy

#15 Post by Hill billy »

Elk slayer,What do you mean by the antlers having a crown?

elkslayer4x5

#16 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

The ends of the main beams end in a cluster of tines, some show palmation like moose, rather than the typical dog stabbers RM elk show. Notice how the main beam continues as a rearwards point? Compare to Scar below. Notice the web between those triple tines?
Rocky-mountain-elk.jpg
Rocky-mountain-elk.jpg (103.27 KiB) Viewed 176 times
Scar.JPG
Scar.JPG (19.12 KiB) Viewed 176 times

Hill billy

#17 Post by Hill billy »

Thanks for the info!! I am considering Oregon. That country is beautiful. It’s a long drive from Arkansas and a hassle transporting meat etc as far as flying is concerned . I have a place in my heart for the northwest having spent some time traveling in that area in the past. I have kinfolk out there and have been fortunate to experience some really neat country in that region.

elkslayer4x5

#18 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

East side of the Cascades is where the RM elk are, Northeast corner is hot. West of the Cascades, you're on the "wet side". Heavy underbrush, lots of blackberrys. What part of Oregon are your kinfolks from, it's a pretty large state. ;) 3rd in elk population last I heard, after Colorado, and Idaho, sorta close to northeast OR :)
ODF just dropped the draw weight limit for all cervids, used to be 45#s deer, 50#s elk, now 40# anything you want to throw a stick at :D
The meat, cut it up as much as you need to, have meat locker (OR got plenty of em, do a complete cut and wrap if you want, ship it by rail to someone close to home. Since pawn shops need a population base , you may have a train station nearby. ;)

Elkman
Site Admin

#19 Post by Elkman »

It would be cool to meet up and hunt elk somewhere. I am hoping my knee heels up well enough for me to go out this Sept. I will most likely need to be careful this season and next year I hope to be able to get back into some of the harder terrain I hunted in years ago before I got tired of the knee issues that always came with the hunts in those places.

Don those are cool pics, I always like watching Elk and looking at pics of Elk.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Hill billy

#20 Post by Hill billy »

Elk slayer I have kin around Medford. But also Washington state that live I the nw corner of the state now. I have never thought about railroad for transporting a harvest.

Return to “Campfire”