Elk hunting

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
elkslayer4x5

Re: Elk hunting

#21 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Ekman, before I moved up here where ODF sells over the counter elk tags, I lived in Northern Calif, in Mendocino County, which happens to be home to two elk species, Roosevelt and Tule. At the time CA was holding draw hunts, had I been lucky enough to get drawn, that tag would have cost me more that the drive to and from OR and the $400 that out of state elk tag and license cost.
So while I had elk all around me, I couldn't hunt 'em. :x There happened to be two preserves with good camping and a resident elk herd with a moderate drive. So I spend a week in each one, just watching elk, and what they do if undisturbed.
First thing I learned is you can't locater them as easily as you can deer, elk eat green, any thing green, grass, weeds, underbrush, trees, anything green.
Second was how many eyes there are to avoid! Where to catch them off of the preserves. :) The year I moved up here CA opens two new hunts, Tule elk and Roosevelt elk in Mendocino County!
Just in case, I also studied how they moved about, who led them.
Have any of you ever been to Sequim Wash? The hwy in the area crosses an age old Roosevelt elk trail. There is a stop light on the hwy that is activated by the collar on the lead cow. She tells the herd what to do and when.

stumper

#22 Post by stumper »

Planning on an elk hunt with will this year or the next. Probably next. Selling house and going to pay off all debt gonna treat myself to some new archery equipment that can meet state minimums and go for a week long hunt somewhere for elk. Planning still in its infancy because house was just inspected today. Waiting to find out more on the sale before planning continues.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#23 Post by Captainkirk »

Best of luck, Dave!
Aim small, miss small!

Hill billy

#24 Post by Hill billy »

stumper wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:39 pm Planning on an elk hunt with will this year or the next. Probably next. Selling house and going to pay off all debt gonna treat myself to some new archery equipment that can meet state minimums and go for a week long hunt somewhere for elk. Planning still in its infancy because house was just inspected today. Waiting to find out more on the sale before planning continues.
Sounds like a plan for sure! The more time to plan the better

Return to “Campfire”