Trying to get a fire lite, under the members!

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
elkslayer4x5

Re: Trying to get a fire lite, under the members!

#21 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

You're telling me with a username like yours, you have never been carp hunting? Tell it's not so! I enjoyed that so much that I dove in after my fish arrow once when the line broke. :o Also got a bit wet a few times retrieving muskrats.

Grizzly

#22 Post by Grizzly »

Well, isn't that what's expected of a pearl diver? ;)

Carpdaddy, I too though it had something to do with carp fishing or shooting. What then does Carp stand for?
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Lowcountry

#23 Post by Lowcountry »

Richard here. I go by "Lowcountry" because I am from the "Lowcountry" of SC. Primarily bowhunt deer and turkeys. I have killed one deer to date, with some world class, epic failures. Missed two turkeys to date. Bows? I have more bows than I can shoot. Heck - I have five right here at the office. Last year (2019) I hunted with a vintage 46lb, 56' West Bow Hunter. I shot right over the back of a doe at 10 freaking yards in my only opportunity this year. In 2018, I hunted with my birth year bow, a 68' Kodiak Hunter. Got a touch of buck fever and missed a big 8 point at 35 yards that I thought was at 20 when I shot. lol I'm pretty sure I missed the same buck, the same way in 2017. I didn't get the chance to hunt that area this year. I'm WAY too picky for the lack of success I've had, and plan on shooting ANY and EVERYTHING next year! Just kidding,

elkslayer4x5

#24 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

You didn't mention what type of ill behaved arrows you used.
It would help you get over those moments of the fever known as buck if you could squezze in some small game hunting, it will help you range estimation too. and its fun. :D
Part of why deer are hard to judge distance to is their varying sizes, use the foliage around them to help guage the distance, all in the couple of seconds you have, This bowhunting stuff is easy :lol: :lol:

Lowcountry

#25 Post by Lowcountry »

I do a fair amount of stump shooting and Roving. I am typically pretty good at judging distance. There really is no reason why anyone should misjudge 20 yards - but I did it twice. :lol: It really just came down to getting caught up in the buck and not looking at anything else - and also while deep down I knew the buck was farther away than I wanted, my buck fever mind was able to convince myself that the buck was in range.

Now, when I get on stand, I pick trees that I know are right at 20 and promise myself that I won't shoot if the deer is outside of those markers. Just didn't get the chance to use it last year.

On the doe, there was no fever. I was cool as a cucumber as I watched my arrow sail 10 inches high. :roll:

Arrows? I'm currently shooting .600 GT Trad blems, with 175 gr Eskimo's up front. I think I'm somewhere around 450 total grains and 10.5-11 gpp. Just for the heck of it, I'm thinking of switching over to .700 Big Jim's Dark Timber arrows. They are a bit lighter and a bit faster, so they shoot a bit flatter.

elkslayer4x5

#26 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Lowcountry wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:45 pm :lol: It really just came down to getting caught up in the buck and not looking at anything else - .
Arrows? I'm currently shooting .600 GT Trad blems, with 175 gr Eskimo's up front. I think I'm somewhere around 450 total grains and 10.5-11 gpp. Just for the heck of it, I'm thinking of switching over to .700 Big Jim's Dark Timber arrows. They are a bit lighter and a bit faster, so they shoot a bit flatter.
Oh yeah, Been there! Back when I learning how to shoot accurately, I stumbled into a band of feral goats running amok between an old Italian hunting club, more of a wine drinking ,eating, talking kinda camp. Had about two hunts a year, dog the brush for 'em and you can use the place to fling sticks the rest of the year "woof woof woof woof"! and the off season summer camps that where in use about the same time as deer season. Long story...continues :D
So I'm not gonna use my deer arrows on 'em I get some cheaper two blade than bear greenies, ace I think, made up some cedar for 'em and my next day off daylight finds me at the end of the road on the hill I saw 'em last week. Got my bear spring arm 8 arrow quiver packed with those arrows. Dusk finds back at the gate head down, quiver empty. Knowing full well I was looking at the whole goat instead of where I wanted the arrow to exit the billy. Several nice ones in that 20+ band.
Same place around a year later a club member and I are returning to the truck after another day of chasing learning goats we're talking about shot oppertunity and I said you gotta take the shot given, when it is. A dove swoops past and land on a stump about 35-40 yds off. Sam says "try that one", took it head off. ;)
new cedar.jpg
new cedar.jpg (51.91 KiB) Viewed 226 times
This is what I building for a bow I'll be pulling to 46#s. the shaft weigh 11 gr per inch, I draw 30 so they'll be 30 7/8" about 352, + 15 gr feathers & nock(if that) and 130 gr points, close to 500 grs. My theory is what little I speed I can gain by using a lighter arrow is trumped by inertia. I'm an instinctive/hybrid shooter, let me practice with the set up and I'll know it's point of aim with in a dozen shots. ;)

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#27 Post by Carpdaddy »

Done more than my share of catching Carp, and often when not fishing for them, even caught a few Bass fishing with artificial baits which is not normal! One night I had one to get caught up in my line, my fishing partner told everyone that I had lassoed it. So after much rigging I became the Carp daddy. One Sunday evening while I was in Church a member and friend took stick on letters and put the name on the sides of my boat, I left it on, that is when the name Carpdaddy stuck! So bows I build I name them ——Something-Carp.
This is my Carp bait bow so named for the worm holes in the riser wood...
Attachments
4BDF43B8-8AA2-437A-AEFD-492D4AC12C84.jpeg
4BDF43B8-8AA2-437A-AEFD-492D4AC12C84.jpeg (173.64 KiB) Viewed 248 times

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#28 Post by Carpdaddy »

Grass Carp. :mrgreen:
Attachments
7ED3E310-D494-4927-B03B-16252CC58025.jpeg
7ED3E310-D494-4927-B03B-16252CC58025.jpeg (98.52 KiB) Viewed 242 times

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#29 Post by Captainkirk »

Now, where did I leave off? Oh, right...with the Grizzly.
So after shooting and hunting with the Griz a couple seasons, I became infatuated with backyard archery and soon this followed me home...1969 Bear TamerlaneHC-300, 35# @ 28" AMO 69":

To say this thing shoots like Robin Hood's dream would be a gross understatement. The first thought that popped into my head when I drew it back was "hot knife through butter". That's how it felt. Funny thing about this'n was, I'd been watching it on eBay for a couple weeks. The day the auction ended, I was scheduled to go hunting. Before leaving the house, I asked myself what was the highest I'd go on this bow, and threw out a Hail Mary highball bid. When I returned that evening and checked my email, I had a notice from eBay that I was the high bidder...for substantially less than my high offer. At that time, pristine examples of this model were bringing anywhere from $1000.00-$1500.00. Suffice it to say I didn't pay that much!
More to follow.
Aim small, miss small!

Lowcountry

#30 Post by Lowcountry »

IMO, those Tamerlanes are about as pretty as you can get.

Return to “Campfire”