A hybrid rest?

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
elkslayer4x5

A hybrid rest?

#1 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

This is the rest on my 74 Hi Speed, kinda an elevated shelf, that's a piece of foam in the middle, gives with pressure. Anyone recognize this as a commercially available rest or did some one make this. I really like it and want a replacement, this one's starting to wear. hum, some dust in the corners.
H-S rest.jpg
H-S rest.jpg (54.04 KiB) Viewed 421 times

stumper

Re: A hybrid rest?

#2 Post by stumper »

Never seen that but am interested if you find out.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

elkslayer4x5

#3 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

After looking thru the Howatt catalogs from 74 to the 1977 Martin & Howatt catalog, I found a possible match in the combined catalog, page 35. #48 Wisper Arrow rest, covered with calf skin, speeds up arrow flight :D , easy to attach, unaffected by rain or snow.
Looks like I'll be trying to make one, any self stick calf hair (don't want to give up any speed) ;) will do, rain and snow proof foam may be tougher. :?

Elkman
Site Admin

#4 Post by Elkman »

You might be able to cut some of that gray wrap around pipe insulation.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Hill billy

#5 Post by Hill billy »

How high is the elevation? That concept is interesting.

Grizzly

#6 Post by Grizzly »

Stop by any automotive dealership and ask some of the mechanics for a piece of 1/2" or whatever size that foam is. They always save scraps along with fresh pieces for makeshift repairs and noise deadening. They come in different densities as well as thicknesses. Jeep might be a good one since they had alot of trouble with those removable tops leaking. There's probably still pieces left over or still in use if they haven't solved that old problem already.

Or just ask your wife. That stuff is used in packaging for many things as well as cushioning in shipping. The problem is we usually throw it all away.

The Daala that 3 Rivers sells has a similar rest if you want to shoot off the shelf and not from an elevated rest, but I believe it is made of something solid and then covered. I like the idea of the cushioning.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

elkslayer4x5

#7 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Had some close cell mini foam for backpack shoulder straps, it's white and thinner than I need, so I cut two pieces of, two was too wide, split one, added a dab of glue, covered with self stick Velcro loop. made a base of the same, shaved off the loop and glued that to the bottom, got a thread wrapped around holding everything snug till glue is dry. Sorry for blurry pic.
Prototype 1.jpg
Prototype 1.jpg (19.23 KiB) Viewed 392 times
Hill billy wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:40 am How high is the elevation? That concept is interesting.
It is 1" long and 7/16" high.

elkslayer4x5

#8 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Second effort, didn't need two pieces, 3/8" with strike plate clearance is enough, should have measured the width too.. This one is much neater. or will be once dry and I can trim the edge off. Just one piece of the 3/4" self stick Velcro, split in half. glued the bottom of the foam, wrapped with thread to "clamp" it together.
prototype 2.jpg
prototype 2.jpg (25.54 KiB) Viewed 389 times

Hill billy

#9 Post by Hill billy »

Well I see a new project in my future. I can think of several bows I need one of these for. I love gathering free knowledge from the experts 😁

elkslayer4x5

#10 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

:D It takes more time to collect the materials that it does to assemble them! I'll pick up a black felt tip marker today. My string from Tenring is supposed to be here today, so I can use the "new" Darton Classic for testing. Don't have the arrows finished yet, but can find something to fling. :)
The Cougar has no rest now, but the shelf isn't 90* from the sight window, it's about 85*, slightly angled, so I'll make an angled base model later today.
Love archery projects, not happy with my .357 semi blunt as yet. But can tell you that bringing the case up to weight is easy, drop split shot in the case, insert close fitting metal rod and smash it down, repeat as necessary.

Return to “Campfire”