A hybrid rest?

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
elkslayer4x5

Re: A hybrid rest?

#11 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Update. I split the first one I made, trimmed a 3/16" strip of the base sticky, removed the paper from the base and applied the 3/16 strip to an edge, which was enough to level the rest on the Cougar's shelf, put a small strike pate on and shot it twice. Works great, so far. :D
Trimmed Proto 1 on BP Cougar.jpg
Trimmed Proto 1 on BP Cougar.jpg (43.32 KiB) Viewed 275 times

Grizzly

#12 Post by Grizzly »

Nice project. You might also be able to dye or color that foam to match the velcro or the wood
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

elkslayer4x5

#13 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Grizzly wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:36 am Nice project. You might also be able to dye or color that foam to match the velcro or the wood
:lol: Funny you should mention that, doubt if I can find brown/tan Velcro, but white is possible, and there's magic markers in lots of colors. Whoever was working the Ben Pearson Cougar lamination line chose a pretty piece of hard wood for the window beam of this Cougar. The lamination joint is quite visible in the above photo. Guess that person also liked the "imported hardwood" too. :D

elkslayer4x5

#14 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Sure enough, white Velcro is readily available, and a few aisles later I found permeant markers. :D
Proto 3.jpg
Proto 3.jpg (70.01 KiB) Viewed 259 times

Grizzly

#15 Post by Grizzly »

Much better
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Hill billy

#16 Post by Hill billy »

I like it. Thanks for the demonstration

Grizzly

#17 Post by Grizzly »

I've never experimented myself with the placement of the rest on a shelf, but I always put the center of the arrowrest (it's contact point with the arrow) above where the hand made contact with the grip (the deepest part of the grip). iirr that's where I read somewhere to put it but I could be wrong. Have you ever worked with that placement? I suppose you only have to look at a catalog from Damon Howett to find out where they originally put it.

elkslayer4x5

#18 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Grizzly wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:10 am I've never experimented myself with the placement of the rest on a shelf, but I always put the center of the arrowrest (it's contact point with the arrow) above where the hand made contact with the grip (the deepest part of the grip). iirr that's where I read somewhere to put it but I could be wrong. Have you ever worked with that placement? I suppose you only have to look at a catalog from Damon Howett to find out where they originally put it.
We must have read the same article or paper, also back in 70 when I bought my Hoyt Pro Medalist, Hoyt had their Pro Flex rest directly adove the deepest part of the grip. I've used that placement since.
Actually most of Damon Howatt catalogs don't show the bows with any kind of rest, showing all that pretty wood. :)

Grizzly

#19 Post by Grizzly »

Found one. Not a very large picture though.
http://nebula.wsimg.com/72dec901784a080 ... oworigin=1

Elkman
Site Admin

#20 Post by Elkman »

Nice job Don.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Return to “Campfire”