Cabin fever and new births.

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Cabin fever and new births.

#11 Post by Captainkirk »

Can you say...Warf?
Aim small, miss small!

Elkman
Site Admin

#12 Post by Elkman »

Looks like it will work pretty good. I need to get my ILF longbow limb form made. I kinda miss making them.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#13 Post by Carpdaddy »

If I understand it correctly a “Warf” is a compound riser with plates in the limb pockets made to accept ILF limbs. A Frankenbow is one with limbs bolted down flat on riser. Some thin metal is often used to space, fill gaps, or keep straight as this one has. The Sage limbs bolt flat down on and are very popular for this. It is easier and quicker I guess, but does not accept ILF limbs, so it’s a Franken-Carp! :lol: :oops:

Hill billy

#14 Post by Hill billy »

Boy Tony I hope this fever you have isn’t contagious. The last time I caught a fever like that it was costly but it happens :D

Grizzly

#15 Post by Grizzly »

Now comes the testing. I'm curious as to whether you notice any less vibration or hand shock transferring to you body from the Frankenbow with the aluminum? or magnesium? riser compared to the lighter bows with a wood riser. I found it to be less with mine.

I wonder if that other new bow you bought has a riser made with wood and alot of resin added which increases weight and may also dampen some vibration transfer. That was important for me when I used to shoot alot and was starting to feel it in my neck vertebrae.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Grizzly

#16 Post by Grizzly »

Is your new Black Hunter riser heavy with resin in the wood? I almost bought one from a maker years ago made of Dymondwood that made for a heavy riser. His back started giving him problems so I never ordered one. From what I can remember of the bow, the riser was very similar looking to your Black Hunter. Now I hear years later that particular product especially needs to be protected from heat, such as hot cars or garages. They are known to develop cracks if heat starts a separation process. Sometimes it's in the finish and sometimes deeper. But for the most part, they make an excellent riser.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Elkman
Site Admin

#17 Post by Elkman »

I looked right at those pictures and didn't notice that those limbs were not ILF :oops:
Since I was thinking warf, I just went with it.
Either way I think it is so cool to be able to take an old compound riser and repurpose it as a traditional bow.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#18 Post by Carpdaddy »

I do think that the heavier risers make for a more stable shooter with less shock. The Black Hunter seems light but probably because I had been shooting the heavier phenolic/resin riser bow. The compound riser with Sage limbs is a great shooter, I shoot it last year at a 3D shoot when it belonged to a friend. I bought his limbs for my grandsons Sage riser, he was planning to buy heavier limbs, but now I bought his riser! :mrgreen:

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#19 Post by Carpdaddy »

In case anyone missed it on page one, notice the $10 Wally World gun case, holds three takedown bows nicely. :idea:
Attachments
3CBF18B6-3D07-4728-8D37-19161C1340B8.jpeg
3CBF18B6-3D07-4728-8D37-19161C1340B8.jpeg (116.22 KiB) Viewed 332 times

Grizzly

#20 Post by Grizzly »

Those Warfs and Frankenbows get really, really stable when lead is added to the lower limb pocket. I bought a Hoyt Spectra with Hoyt carbon/wood limbs set up that way. They are very heavy - eventually uncomfortably heavy for me and I sold it - but they hang extremely well for an accurate shot. I was using it when I put that called shot right between the eyes of that wolf target on my avatar. At a club shoot once, a member who once shot with the US team and who still likes to shoot alum riser recurves in competition picked it up and you could see his mind instantly start thinking about the balance and stability of the setup.

Return to “Campfire”