New Pope and Young Black Bear record

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Grizzly

New Pope and Young Black Bear record

#1 Post by Grizzly »

https://www.bucksbullsbears.com/2020/02 ... nX1tAhJIWA

From New Jersey of all places. I knew they were becoming prolific there, but this surprised me. I can remember talking to hunters on line from my old home state of NJ about deer hunting maybe 20 years ago. They were telling me then that they were seeing more black bears than deer. The problem was that the politics of NJ was not allowing for bear hunting seasons at that time. The gov't was not allowing the conservation dept to run things as they knew best. It has been a battle for years to get these bear hunting seasons moving again. Maybe that is what allowed them to grow this big. I remember a story from years ago about a jogger, I think who was attacked and killed by a very large and heavy black bear. I doubt this one was taken with traditional equipment. I remember the debates in Pope and Young way back when they wanted to include compound kills in with what had once only been traditional kills.

In the mid to late 1960's when I hunted there, the black bears were still further north in upstate NY. I was a the top of the state that bordered NYS. I'm still surprised that they have moved that far south into NJ. especially as it is becoming more and more populated with folks moving out of NYC and the surrounding areas. Unfortunately, they brought their politics with them as usually happens in these cases.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

elkslayer4x5

Re: New Pope and Young Black Bear record

#2 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Never thought that Mendocino bear would be equaled again, never mind beaten. :shock:

Hill billy

#3 Post by Hill billy »

That is a hogmolly for sure!!

Grizzly

#4 Post by Grizzly »

That's what happened with my first turkey. One of the guys at work shot a record book turkey somewhere in the 33 pound range. So when I shot a 23 pound bird it looked like a pheasant by comparison. I'm not used to seeing bears at all. Never have. I can't imagine having a 700 pound bear get within bow range - especially on the ground. And, you know that NJ doesn't allow sidearms either - like that would even stop one in time.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

elkslayer4x5

#5 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Grizzly wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:15 am That's what happened with my first turkey. One of the guys at work shot a record book turkey somewhere in the 33 pound range. So when I shot a 23 pound bird it looked like a pheasant by comparison. I'm not used to seeing bears at all. Never have. I can't imagine having a 700 pound bear get within bow range - especially on the ground. And, you know that NJ doesn't allow sidearms either - like that would even stop one in time.
Before I moved up here. I lived in Mendocino County. Thought I ran into a contender for the now 2nd place P & Y blackie one day while out on the bike.
Was going around a logging gate, up a side road about 40 yards off the main, pushing the bike into the hillside ditch around the gate. Heard branches breaking, several, and loud, something heavy was leaving in a hurry :!: Jerked the bow (compound :oops: ) out of the rack and dropped the bike, and got to the downhill side of the road.
Just in time to see the big cinnamon bear headed for the main road and the deep canyon on the other side of it slam on the brakes and skid to a stop. Turned away and disappeared into the nearby redwood thicket. I almost had an arrow out of the quiver before he was gone :!:
After the shaking stopped and I had had some water, as I looked down towards the creek, into the breeze coming up the hill did figure when I got off the bike the bear heard and smelled me. When he stopped it was at my bike track. He was easily larger than my bike, bigger than my avatar :o The creek fed into the Noyo river which empties into the Pacific about 25 miles from where this happened. Lived where he got a 2-3 month supply of salmon runs every winter.

Elkman
Site Admin

#6 Post by Elkman »

That's crazy for a black bear. Biggest I ever saw was at about 200 yards. I tried to put a stock on him with my takedown recurve that I made. He stood maybe a foot over this large stump down at the lower end of a clear cut. I don't know much about sizing up a bear and really didn't think much about his size at the time. I got down to him and could hear him rooting around out in front of me. I had maybe 8 yards to clear the timber so I could see him. I heard more noise getting close and froze. Then he walked off back to were was originally rooting around. Just as I started to move in closer the wind shifted down hill and in seconds he bolted. When I walked up to the stump it was up to the top of my leg in height and only then did I realize how big he must have been. I figured maybe 400 lb. This guy darn near doubles that. WOW!
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

elkslayer4x5

#7 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

When estimating a bear's size, notice how much can you see under the bear, if the chest is above the knees, it's young. Trophy bears and cats use scull measurements, because their heads grows with them, Big bears has ears on the side of their head, cubs ears are straight up

" When I walked up to the stump it was up to the top of my leg in height".. How tall are you?

Elkman
Site Admin

#8 Post by Elkman »

I am about 5' 9" with about a 33" inseam. I guess he was close to 42" high or so and his belly was pretty low for a spring bear. Here in Montana our black bear normally don't get as big as those on the east coast. They may average 300lb or less around here. My son has taken 2 here in Montana. His first he shot within 4 miles of the house here, was estimated at 350lb+, a fall bear, he was 310 dressed out of the back of the truck when taken to the meat processing place. His second a chocolate bear, he was estimated at about 280lb. Some of those eastern black bears are as big as our Grizzlies.

We had this little guy visit us a couple times 2 years in a row. He was after our plums and was treed by our dog. He is probably 100lb or so, probably just left his mom.
bear-in-backyard-4.jpg
bear-in-backyard-4.jpg (155.2 KiB) Viewed 540 times
bear-in-backyard.jpg
bear-in-backyard.jpg (153.95 KiB) Viewed 540 times
Every time he showed up he was treed by the dog. We still have bear in the yard once in awhile, but haven't seen them, just their scat and always near the plum trees or apple tree.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

elkslayer4x5

#9 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

East and West coast black bears don't have to compete with grizzlies. Although there have been sightings up around Idaho.

Return to “Campfire”