Stop or no

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Hill billy

Stop or no

#1 Post by Hill billy »

I quit stopping deer a couple years ago before the shot and my shot placement has improved dramatically. A deer on alert is much harder to shoot in my opinion then one I can draw and and shoot while not disturbing his stride? Would like to get your opinion stop or not ? Last years kill while clipping along at a good pace. I think I maintain better concentration also.
D678F78E-8D66-4222-9B84-4BCA77FD0C38.jpeg
D678F78E-8D66-4222-9B84-4BCA77FD0C38.jpeg (44.33 KiB) Viewed 215 times

Hill billy

Re: Stop or no

#2 Post by Hill billy »

Not sure why it’s upside down

dhaverstick

#3 Post by dhaverstick »

I prefer to stop them. The only animal I've ever shot while moving was a caribou I killed a few years ago and I had to lead that dude about 6 feet!

Darren

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

I always stopped them with a whistle or grunt when hunting with “training wheels”. But I was usually at full draw with a fast bow then. I rarely do it now since I don’t hold at full draw for long period of times, and I don’t shoot a stickbow with heavy arrows fast, so now I am more patient in waiting for them to offer a better shot themselves. If I draw and one is coming by quickly I would then, but more often do not.

jaydee2trad

#5 Post by jaydee2trad »

I prefer to take them unawares but sometimes you have to stop them. I usually hunt in the thicker and closer areas and never had any trouble with a normal moving deer shot. I shot a lot of moving fish and a ton of moving targets in the past and just don't think about the shot except where I mean to hit it.

Hill billy

#6 Post by Hill billy »

jaydee2trad wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:33 am I prefer to take them unawares but sometimes you have to stop them. I usually hunt in the thicker and closer areas and never had any trouble with a normal moving deer shot. I shot a lot of moving fish and a ton of moving targets in the past and just don't think about the shot except where I mean to hit it.
I think that’s where I’m at. If I’m not going to get a shot with out stopping then the by all means try something. Although! The last 2 shots I made I had too commit to looking and hoping for a window or opportunity. But it turned out well. We just can’t get them all. Thanks for your input guys

Nomad

#7 Post by Nomad »

Yes, I usually rush the shot after I stop them. Prefer to have them stop on their own.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

I prefer to let them stop on their own...or not...and take or not take the shot based on that. A deer on high alert is way more likely to catch the movement of drawing, and jump the string if you release.
It's a personal opinion for every hunter, but that's mine.
Aim small, miss small!

Elkman
Site Admin

#9 Post by Elkman »

I try to wait for the game to stop on their own.

I did shoot a Bull at about 10 yards walking across in front of me once. I timed the draw as he past a small clump of trees. I got to full draw as he past into the clear and I let him have it. He ran straight away, I stopped him with a cow call, he looked back and he expired about 50 yards away. With Elk it is a bit easier to get away with things like that.

I miss those days.

I guess if you take them moving casually along, it could be somewhat better than hitting them as they jump your string.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Return to “Campfire”