Friends, food and squirrels

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
dhaverstick

Friends, food and squirrels

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

My best bud, John (Cool Johnny) Norris, and I went to my farm this past weekend for a couple days of squirrel hunting, trout fishing, and generally doing "Man Stuff". My personal chef, groundskeeper, and father lives there and he kept us well fed as we played in the woods and water.

The creek that runs behind my Dad's house turns into a blue ribbon trout stream about 3 miles downstream from our property. We waded that Sunday afternoon but had no luck catching anything. We still saw some beautiful scenery and it was neat for this hillbilly to appreciate it all over again through the eyes of a flatlander.

We went back to Dad's and spent the afternoon slinging some arrows at clay birds before supper was prepared. That night we dined on fried deer meat, brown beans, and tater dumplings. Dessert was homemade peanut butter cookies and sugar cookies. Like I said, Father treats us well!

We got up early the next morning with hopes of killing a couple of turkeys. Missouri has a fall season that runs the entire month of October and Dad had been seeing a flock about every day down in our middle field. No birds showed up that day so we went back to killing more bushytails. It's hard to beat the sight and smell of blue smoke on a cool fall morning.

We put a few more in the game bag and then prepared to head back to our homes and work. All good things have to end sometime but I'm sure we will be back as soon as we can.

Darren

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Friends, food and squirrels

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Good stuff Darren. Looks like a lot of enjoyment.

Return to “Campfire”