Hunting season of an ole Carp

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Greg Felty

Re: Hunting season of an ole Carp

#11 Post by Greg Felty »

Good luck Tony, our season starts Oct 1st
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#12 Post by Captainkirk »

Greg Felty wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:59 am Good luck Tony, our season starts Oct 1st
Same here, Greg. My permit doesn't allow me to hunt until the 15th of October.
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#13 Post by Carpdaddy »

Got out a little yesterday evening and scouted a couple places near home. Even dug out my old cam I bought many years ago and set it. Haven’t used it in a long time but the many pictures my buddy keeps sending me got me fired up! Enjoyed the walk in the woods! :mrgreen:

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#14 Post by Carpdaddy »

:shock: :mrgreen: :lol:
Attachments
5BE4A4B9-B4AE-4E44-B570-72647A733CA6.jpeg
5BE4A4B9-B4AE-4E44-B570-72647A733CA6.jpeg (97.25 KiB) Viewed 96 times

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#15 Post by Carpdaddy »

Friday Sept 16th
Buddy called and said that they had cut a corn field on his property. We have a stand set near the back corner of this field and that Deer were coming into it in the early evening. It’s an easy flat walk from a nearby church parking lot and walking track. So I eased in about 5pm hoping to meet a few wanting to reach the field from the thicket nearby. Sure enough about 6-6:30 I caught a glimpse of movement. But wait I thought, they are not coming from the thicket, they are following my trail, and right where I had walked in. There is a big ditch I had to cross that is shoulder high to me but just a small stream flowing down it. I saw they had been crossing there some but really expected them from another direction. Then I remembered stopping in the ditch and relieving myself of the large coffee I had been drinking on the way. I felt the running stream might help in different ways. But they came right out of that ditch, then back in, then out again. Well a couple of things became clear, they did want to go to the field behind me, but they didn’t want to follow the path any further that something else had. The wind would have been okay if they had followed the plan and came the right way! Anywho: There we’re three doe’s, a momma, her little one, and a larger one I wanted. They would come in very nervously to within 25 yards and lock up, then in again, then back. This went on for a while while I keep trying to keep up with the larger one but the underbrush was pretty thick. Finally she walked by about 20 yards, I drew, then tried to stop her with a grunt, no dice. She was too alert to attempt her at the distance, especially moving. So let down.
I waited her out until finally she decided I wasn’t going to keep her from the field any longer! She just began a fast nervous walk towards the field and probably 15 yards from my stand. I drew back and waited for her to come to a small opening I had picked. This is when a forty pound bow comes in handy. She came there but my grunts didn’t stop or slow her down. Now she was passing about twelve yards and under some bushes, but not to bad. After a third loud grunt I knew she wasn’t stopping so I letter fly! Yep, shore nuff, right over her shoulder, unharmed, unless she laughed too hard! Took a picture of my pretty orange lighted nock from the tree. They win again!
Attachments
DAE217AA-63F2-4B91-972F-BC5DFA632B5C.jpeg
DAE217AA-63F2-4B91-972F-BC5DFA632B5C.jpeg (243.67 KiB) Viewed 81 times
29F5789D-2182-4C52-896F-2400BC91CC62.jpeg
29F5789D-2182-4C52-896F-2400BC91CC62.jpeg (106.75 KiB) Viewed 81 times

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#16 Post by Carpdaddy »

Good penetration tho...
Attachments
05EA973B-E6D0-4A69-B012-6E4884EDB7FA.jpeg
05EA973B-E6D0-4A69-B012-6E4884EDB7FA.jpeg (221.37 KiB) Viewed 80 times

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#17 Post by Captainkirk »

Now, that right there is funny...don't care who you are! :lol:
Aim small, miss small!

Elkman
Site Admin

#18 Post by Elkman »

Hey, all the fun needed 😉 for that hunt. I guess next time you'll get the added work to get one out. Good luck next time 👍.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#19 Post by Carpdaddy »

Saturday Sept 17th
Today I chose out newest stand on the ridge top. The soybean fields are below and the deer like to come up on the mountain ridge to bed after gorging all night. This is the same stand that I hunted opening morning and had a couple come up the ridge. Done told that story. Again my buddy hauled my old bones right within sight of the stand. But the deer didn’t come up the ridge at 8:00 sharp as they had last time here. So I patiently waited enjoying the cool morning, The wind was coming up the ridge perfect, I was ready to miss again! About 9:30-9:45 I caught a slight movement on up the ridge behind me. Focusing in sure enough it was two Does. But they had messed everything up, they were coming directly into my wind, they had failed to read the script again! I don’t know if they also caught movement or if I stunk that bad. I got a couple short videos thinking they would leave soon. The next 30 minutes was a game of cat and mouse, they wanted to keep coming but knew something was out of place. So they came by about 25 yards, I wanted to shoot one standing in an open place but she was to jumpy. They made a circle and went back to where they were. This happened four different times, but each time they would come a little closer, searching for the stink. I got starred at, stomped at, but not snorted at, yet. The fourth time one of them decided to come near the 15 yard mark in my mind while the other one watched from a distance. She got there and I was still sitting as they had been watching for any movement from me. I caught her look off for a second and eased my bow back. She decided to turn away again and go back for a fifth time, but that didn’t work out so well as I was close and at full draw. She was going away but at an enough angle where I could pick a spot back but towards the heart. I letter-go!...
Does one of my arrows look off colored? :mrgreen:
Attachments
191E935F-E7B4-48F0-BB00-CA32DCBBC12F.jpeg
191E935F-E7B4-48F0-BB00-CA32DCBBC12F.jpeg (226.59 KiB) Viewed 76 times

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#20 Post by Captainkirk »

Where did you find that barn red paint out in the woods?
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Campfire”