Welcome

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
eidsvolling

Re: Welcome

#221 Post by eidsvolling »

Shadowhntr wrote:Welcome to Trad Hunter! That's quite a line up there! Want to tell us what each one is?
From the bottom up:

'66 Bear Kodiak Magnum, 48#
'60 Bear Kodiak De Luxe, 60", 48#
Morrison Dakota, 58", 55#@27"
Dave Paxton Talon Swift, 60", 55#
'58 Bear Kodiak, 60", 58#
'43 (not a typo!) Buck Doran selfbow, 66", 48#, made for my father
'96 Dave Paxton Talon Classic, sassafras and made for PBS banquet that year, 64", 60#

There's a new one missing that was added this month, Herb Meland Pronghorn, one-piece R/D longbow, 60", 55@28.5"

Oh, and a commercial selfbow of unknown origin, very similar in style to the Doran bow, 66", 55#, with the skinniest handle I've ever held that needs some widening before it can join the shooting line up here.

No wall queens here. If I can't take you out in the woods, you don't get in the door. And that includes the De Luxe. :o

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#222 Post by Carpdaddy »

Beautiful line up there for sure. If it were me I would have to make a wall queen out of that 43 Buck Doran selfbow, especially with all the other options! But I understand where your coming from, there has to be a special feeling to using it. From the picture it appears that the riser although not having a shelf is offset. Am I seeing this correctly or is it just the view from the side?

Shadowhntr

#223 Post by Shadowhntr »

Looks to me like the '43 has the handle down in the snow a bit, hiding some of it maybe?

Thank you so much for that run down...Now we know what we're looking at. It's torture though on the flip side. I cannot quit salivating over that Kodiak De Luxe, what an animal!.....the Morrison looks like great dessert after the De Luxe. Wow those are all nice bows.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

eidsvolling

#224 Post by eidsvolling »

Carpdaddy wrote:Beautiful line up there for sure. If it were me I would have to make a wall queen out of that 43 Buck Doran selfbow, especially with all the other options! But I understand where your coming from, there has to be a special feeling to using it. From the picture it appears that the riser although not having a shelf is offset. Am I seeing this correctly or is it just the view from the side?
There is no offset; if I recall correctly, it's about ⅜ inch short of center (counting the plate) and uniform on left and right. I shoot it off my knuckle.

Shooting it and hunting with it give me far more pleasure than merely looking at it. But looking at it is OK, too. :D

eidsvolling

#225 Post by eidsvolling »

Shadowhntr wrote:Looks to me like the '43 has the handle down in the snow a bit, hiding some of it maybe?

Thank you so much for that run down...Now we know what we're looking at. It's torture though on the flip side. I cannot quit salivating over that Kodiak De Luxe, what an animal!.....the Morrison looks like great dessert after the De Luxe. Wow those are all nice bows.
Thanks! Actually, as you might see in the separate picture above, there's not much more to the handle depth-wise. It is a dream to hold and shoot.

stumper

#226 Post by stumper »

Wow awesome bows.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

White Falcon

#227 Post by White Falcon »

Very nice collection. Welcome!

Return to “Campfire”