What # to use long bow

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Raven1

What # to use long bow

#1 Post by Raven1 »

This is my first question and do not know where to ask it. I want to shoot target and dear with a long bow. What is a good over all poundage for both. My arrow length with a compound is 30 inch. Any other Internet sights with info would be appreciated.

Tradman

Re: What # to use long bow

#2 Post by Tradman »

the area you live in dictates minimum legal hunting poundage for deer and other game,you should shoot target at a lighter poundage than your hunting weight in my opinion but shoot the same poundage for both if you want.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT AND IT'S NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHAT'S WRONG....LOU HOLTZ

John H

#3 Post by John H »

I would guess the minimum draw weight in New York in either 35 or 40 pounds. You will have to meet or exceed that minimum. That would also be an excellent weight for target.

mccaw69

#4 Post by mccaw69 »

Ky. has no min. draw weights on bows used for hunting.The same weight u use on your compound should work for a long bow.Are you going to a real traditional long bow?By that I mean a wooden longbow? Most true traditional bows will loose approx. #5 after you get them broke in,so it's advised to order it 5# heavyer than u normally shoot. If you order one of those mass produced glass backed longbows,it wont matter.
"And God was with the lad;and he grew,and dwelt in the wilderness,and became an archer." Gen.21:20

1/4 away

#5 Post by 1/4 away »

In New York a bow has to have a draw weight greater than 35 lbs.

String Cutter

#6 Post by String Cutter »

IMHO. 45#'s is enough to kill any Whitetail that has ever walked. If'n you are going after elk or moose ect I would go up to mid 50's or more... I am guessing with a 30 inch draw with a compound you will lose 1-2 inches in your draw length when shooting a longbow... Which is usual for most guys.
I would suggest getting a 45# longbow. It will be light enough for you to learn to shoot, you will be able to shoot it more and it will make it more enjoyable for you. Later if you decide it is to light for you it still will be o.k.... You would have learned to shoot well..Something you will never do if you over bow your self to start with..

Greywolf

#7 Post by Greywolf »

Start out light poundage, I mean #35 to start out, get your shooting form established and enjoy shooting. being able to draw comfortable and hold for 3-5 seconds is a good test for your first bow.
then Practice your shooting form. Do it in the mirror to make sure your shooting form is #1, comfortable and #2 repeatable for you with ease. then practice your shooting form work. practice close about 3 yards to get your anchor point established.
Shooting close also lets you work on your shooting form too. work on getting 4 arrow in the same location on 4 different black dots. then move back to 10 yds and work on your shooting form and get use to looking at the dot and nothing else, no arrow tip or tip location on the target or bow hand, your teaching your brain where to hold for that distance...Pssst It'll be about the same as what you see at 3 yds**wink**
now, between times work on your shooting form. After you start hitting consistent at 10 yards, move to 5 yards, do it all over again while practicing your shooting form. What you are doing is teaching your brain where to hold without thinking about it. then move back to 20 yards and practice some more. this way 3-20 yards is automatic and you just strare at the hair you want to hit draw look anchor hold release and split the hair.

in the mean time? practice your shooting form.

Aloha and have fun

Then once you are hitting well then move up in poundage to legal hunting weight for your state. If you over bow your self you start making bad habits right off the bat.
Most stykbow people have 3-10 bows, It's easy to trade or sell lighter poundage bows just for the same reason as you, just starting out.
You never get a second chance to make a first great shot.

littlejohn

#8 Post by littlejohn »

NY requires a bow weight of 36# and up,this should be the marked bow weight ,should you be checked by a warden.I personally would start at 40, and would be happier at 45.

Red Tailed Hawk

#9 Post by Red Tailed Hawk »

45# for whitetail will do it everytime.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed.

bronco2

#10 Post by bronco2 »

lighter poundage for target shooting and a heavier for hunting. in va. we have to have 45# or a bow capable of propelling a arrow a 100 yards ..thanks, denny

Return to “Campfire”