Spring Gobblers are fired up!

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Jim Neaves

Spring Gobblers are fired up!

#1 Post by Jim Neaves »

Well it won't be long before the spring turkey season will be in full swing. We open up on April 14th here in Montana. The toms are already putting on their displays everywhere you go. The weather here is suppose to be real nice this upcoming week so "Look out ya big Gobblers" because Saturday morning I'll be waiting for ya! I will try and post pics of the hunt if something happens. I'm taking out the 50" white ash selfbow 60# ~ 25" backed with moose sinew and rawhide. It's a great bow for the ground blind. Anyone else have any turkey stories or pics from this season yet?

cyberscout

Re: Spring Gobblers are fired up!

#2 Post by cyberscout »

No stories or pics yet Jim --
April 15th is the opener down here in NM.
Been shooting My Centaur Tricarbon Copperhead bow 51#@25 made by Jim for Jim { haha} - in preparation
I intend to go forth {next weekend} and chase the elusive Merriams in hopes of closing the distance and taking a nice gobbler home for the pot!
Good luck to All!
Scout

centaurian

#3 Post by centaurian »

I have a Trad shoot I'm going to try to make this weekend in Moses Lake and leave Sunday to hunt for a couple days at some friends property in Kettle Falls, WA. Unfortunatly, I wont be hunting out of a blind..ghillie suit and my Carbon Elite along with prayers in abundance! Going to be fun though, no matter what happens.

SNUFFER

#4 Post by SNUFFER »

Good luck to all, and may all your arrows find their mark. Our Maryland season starts next week, and I do hope to get out wih my 59 Bear kodiak and try my hand at taking a Gobbler. Shoot Straight and Good Hunting.

Tony sanders/aka"SNUFFER"

Jesse Minish

#5 Post by Jesse Minish »

April 15 is our Idaho bear and turkey opener. Cant wait for Sunday!

Rick Barbee

#6 Post by Rick Barbee »

Good Luck Folks !!!!!!!!!!

My turkey season so far:

First day out I called in 8 nice toms to within 10 yards of me.
First Tom came in within 10 minutes of my first calls.

I had moved a 12' tripod into the brush on the edge of a hay field,
and set the decoys at about 15 yards out into the field.
Jake decoy facing me, and a hen decoy facing away.

Just as expected the gobbler came in, circled in to face the jake,
and gave me a perfect 10 yard shot.

I MISSED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG I MISSED. When I set the tripod, I didn't clear out my shooting lane to the decoys well enough, and there was still a tree limb about 1" in diameter in the way. When the tom came in my focus was on him, and the limb never entered my mind.

My shot was on the way, but I saw the arrow turn ever so slightly point left, and the broadhead didn't make contact. The back of the arrow however slapped the snot out of him, and bout knocked him over.
Sounded about like hitting a pillow with a leather belt as hard as you could swing it.

I called close 7 more birds that morning, but never got one into the shooting lane for the shot. The first bird went about 50 yards out into the field, and just stayed there alerting everything that came close.

It still was an awesome day, and I'm not giving up.

I've been three time since. I'm getting good response to the calls, but have had problems with either the horses chasing the turkey away, or the rancher driving in to tend the horses, and scaring them away before they were close enough to get a shot.

Season runs till May 13th, so I've still got time, and I'll be going as much as possible. The only problem I foresee other than the usual distractions is I have noticed over the years that about the time the scissor tails migrate in the gobblers cool off, and aren't as responsive to calling.
Scissor tails migrated in by the thousands two days ago. LOL

Lord I Love Spring Turkey Bowhunting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick

Tradman

#7 Post by Tradman »

Sounds like some turkeys have some serious problems to deal with.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT AND IT'S NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHAT'S WRONG....LOU HOLTZ

Jesse Minish

#8 Post by Jesse Minish »

Im sure we will see a pic. of your bird soon Rick!

Rick Barbee

#9 Post by Rick Barbee »

Jesse Minish wrote:Im sure we will see a pic. of your bird soon Rick!
Well, I haven't had a chance to go back yet. Been mechanicin on an old POS truck for the past few days.
New head gasket & others, injectors, wires, hoses, etc, etc. Trying to resurrect it without doing a complete overhaul.
That & building strings has been keepin me real busy.
I should finish the truck up tomorrow, and then I'll start focusing on the gobblers again in between string cycles.

Rick

Jim Neaves

#10 Post by Jim Neaves »

Got out tonight and called up two gobblers from up the mountain. It was already time for them to roost and I quit calling momentarily to get my go-pro cam turned on, adjust the tripod for the big camera and get my bow adjusted and that must have been just enough for them to loose interest and get to the roost. I will be out first thing in the morning with a buddy and I'm going to film him taking one hopefully!

Return to “Campfire”