Ticks, skeeters, serpents, and itchy plants!

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Graps

Re: Ticks, skeeters, serpents, and itchy plants!

#21 Post by Graps »

BUNNY HUGGER.png
BUNNY HUGGER.png (66.48 KiB) Viewed 650 times
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#22 Post by stumper »

Graps wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:04 pmBUNNY HUGGER.png
Hahahahahaha.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#23 Post by Captainkirk »

I might add, having taken the recommendation of Dave (stumper) and James (jamesh76) on using a Thermacell...I give it a BIG thumbs-up for controlling flying biting insects. Can't say if it is effective on ticks, but really works well on mosquitoes and deer flies.
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#24 Post by stumper »

Captainkirk wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:01 am I might add, having taken the recommendation of Dave (stumper) and James (jamesh76) on using a Thermacell...I give it a BIG thumbs-up for controlling flying biting insects. Can't say if it is effective on ticks, but really works well on mosquitoes and deer flies.
It really works. If it works in the stagnant bayou that I hunt and live in. I'm confident it will work anywhere.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Grizzly

#25 Post by Grizzly »

Thorn trees were my biggest owie, followed by ticks. The little tiny ones being the hardest to find. Of coarse pay hunters from all over the country have congregated in Pike County, Ill. Some are not so bad, but others shouldn't be allowed in the woods with weapons due to their loose ethics and carelessness.

But the pests are not all outdoors. We had a ten year old Verlo mattress. They build them locally and are a franchise. I though I'd have them renew the foam topper, so I had them pick it up on their truck. They advised it was too old, and brought it back, so we bought a new one within a week or so. It turned out to be too firm for me, so I took advantage of their offer to soften it with different foam, so back it went on their truck.

About a month later, my wife asks me what are these bugs full of blood that she's killing and also causing itching from the bites???? That gve me a really really bad feeling, so I researched it after finally catching one myself. Bed bugs. She has gotten to the point where she spends most of her time in bed now and needs alot of care. That made her - and me - targets. The worst time is after the lights go out for a few hours.

Beware what you bring into your home. I can't say with certainty that they came from their truck due to careless cleaning practices (most reputable moving companies fumigate their trucks after every load), but it is the most likely source. Other sources are used wood furniture, bedding and maybe even second hand clothes. I hadn't bought hardly anything in this time period, so I don't think it was from anything else coming into the home, but you can never be sure. You can even bring them in on the clothes you are wearing if you were in an infested area. These things were a nightmare to get rid of. Luckily, they didn't spread through-out the house and stayed in one room, though one or two got into the recliner which was attacked immediately with sprays and powders. I'm surprised my daughter who took on the task of eradicating them didn't have us throw the chair out. We did pitch a few things that they might have taken up residence in like our wood headboard. The largest concentration was below us in the box spring which we then encased in a zippered plastic cover and later discarded. We spent hundreds of dollars on powder, sprays and bombs. After 3 or 4 bombing episodes, alot of vacuuming and powder everywhere, along with washing everything in sight (which doesn't kill all of them in the washer and dryer) they were gone in a month. It just so happened to coincide with my wife spending that month in a facility for therapy as she regained her strength after suffering a mia - small stroke. Us both being gone for a month made it easier to battle them. Much prayer to remove this pestilence was also fervently prayed.

I guess these things are related to ticks. If you let them get too established, they are known to get into crevices and places where they are hard to eradicate. Many folks have to finally spend thousands on professional fumigators and even that doesn't always work. My daughter read up on them and says they are becoming epidemic in the U.S.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#26 Post by Captainkirk »

That's true, Craig. They say one night in a hotel/motel can get you and your bags infested and then you bring them home with you. They are supposedly murder to get rid of.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”