The feather says it all

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
jaydee2trad

The feather says it all

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

I have always used feathers on a string for wind direction. I usually have one hanging at every stand so that I know what is happening at any given moment. We have a weather or wind vane in the back yard but it takes a lot of wind to move it and it spins easily but the hanging feather near it lets me know of the slightest breeze and which direction it is blowing. living at the foot of a mountain means a lot of swirling winds as well plus direction changes. I can't afford one of those scent killing contraptions that they sell so it is what it is. I have had a few feathers attacked by various things including a house cat and small birds of prey. my wife now sees how well they work and they are quite cheap. The smaller and fluffier the feather, the better it is for those faint winds. I just use some light fishing line with close to 2 feet of line. yeah, storms are rough on them but they are easy to replace.

Jamesh76

Re: The feather says it all

#2 Post by Jamesh76 »

I have used maribou from fly tying on a short string tied off the top string loop.

Greg Felty

#3 Post by Greg Felty »

That hummingbird feathers would have worked nice :lol: :lol:
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

jaydee2trad

#4 Post by jaydee2trad »

Greg Felty wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:03 pm That hummingbird feathers would have worked nice :lol: :lol:
Except hard for a semi blind man to see.

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”