Hunting access

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Hunting access

#1 Post by Carpdaddy »

It seems that many hunters struggle with trying to find a place to hunt. If they have good public hunting nearby it is usually running over with hunters I'm told. I guess I have been very blessed in this situation, I have an over abundance of places to hunt. I guess a big part of that is because I have been all over this and several surrounding counties preaching revivals and thereby getting too know so many different people. But even outside that fact I have also been able to find places to hunt by just stopping by and politely asking. Even in some places that have said no at first have later let me hunt. I find it best not to pull up to a farmhouse in full camo, face paint, and with a big knife on your side. I also have had success at Wally World, flea markets where farmers are selling stuff, and yard sales. A little off season work and doing what I'm best at (flapping my gums) has proved beneficial for me. Here is one example... For many years I went to a place about five hours west in our state to a public hunting area called Land between the lakes. During those years visiting there for a weeks hunting trip I got to visiting the same Church there every time I went. Long story short I now have access to some great hunting property that joins the state park in that area. Not only that but the landowner after seeing my bows gave me a bunch of Black Walnut to make bows out of. The next season I took him a bow that I built for him out of the wood he gave me. Though not a trad Hunter he was quite tickled with the bow. In doing so and also being respectful of his land I have secured some good hunting turf. Just some ideas that may or may not give others some thoughts on how they might get more hunting access, hope something here helps.

Bearded Bowhunter

Re: Hunting access

#2 Post by Bearded Bowhunter »

I believe we're blessed bro. I have had the same experiences. I have 8 chunks of private land to hunt where I am either the only one, or one of a select few that have permission to hunt. I think part of it too is talking about it well before the season begins so that no one feels put on the spot. People dont like to be pressured or put in a corner. I always offer to help at the property and share any deer that I might take there.
Bear Grizzly 58'' 50#@28"
Samick Sage Takedown 60" 50#@28"

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Good practices, men. For some reason folks seem to warm up to trad hunters quicker than compound or gun hunters.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

CD, I used to have quite a bit of land to hunt....enough to hang 14 stands on mostly seperate properties. Over the many years, my landowners have passed away, or sold. Im vitually landless now, with only 1 property left, and it was the worst place I had! Greatful for it now! I been stuck on public otherwise for a few years now. Its hard after so many years of not having to go rustle up hunting ground, to get back into the swing of it. I intended asking for some places for this season, and got lazy. I hope to start getting more private ground though, hopefully for next season. Sure makes the chances of harvesting mature bucks much lower.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Jamesh76

#5 Post by Jamesh76 »

I too over the years have lost properties, due to selling and change of crop farmers. Also all the dang leasing going around hear. I live close to Jase, and there is good public hunting if you walk to the back of it. But, it is heavily hunted in the areas easier to access/get deer out. I have a 2 small 10-40 acre tracts and am trying everything to hold onto them.

Bearded Bowhunter

#6 Post by Bearded Bowhunter »

Hope you can find a few more places to hunt, Jason. I have been fortunate the last 2 years, and have doubled my places to hunt. It ebbs and flows. You'll get some more eventually.

James...state land it similar around here....you must be wiling to walk a LONG way if you want to find decent hunting...by decent I mean you cant see 3 other hunters from a stand.
Bear Grizzly 58'' 50#@28"
Samick Sage Takedown 60" 50#@28"

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”