Weird deer this morning

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Shadowhntr

Weird deer this morning

#1 Post by Shadowhntr »

I seen 3 different locations with deer out and visible this morning right at daylight. First sighting looked to have 4 mature doe, and 2 fawns. Second sighting was 2 mature doe. Third sighting was a mature doe and a fawn.

In every case there were soybean fields within easy travel distance. Yet in all three cases, they were in shorter grass in wide open but not far from cover. Where they were all at, gave me no indication they were just traveling back from the beans, and quite to the contrary they were on the opposite side of the cover of the beans. I know deer dont normally eat much in way of grasses, but they were all munching on SOMETHING. I know for a fact, where each groups were at, may have some low growing broadleafs like white clover or dandelion. Other then that....plush grass. Im guessing they about had to be picking up the clover. Im still kinda scratching my head, as to why they are choosing it over a beautiful crop of soybeans.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Weird deer this morning

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Maybe there was something in or about the soybeans that spelled "DANGER".
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

I've noticed here that they slow down on the beans when they begin to turn.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Very possible there was a big patch of clover. It's been very prodigous around here this year; especially in my front lawn.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”