Feeling safe from above

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Feeling safe from above

#11 Post by Carpdaddy »

A friend called and ask me to run by a local shop and take a look st the new Muddy. It's another near exact replica except for the fact that they must have caught on and made the V deeper. I don't know without trying but I sure hope this is enough to cure the problem. Here's a picture of it attached to a small log in the store, only the two inside teeth are touching the pole. If the deeper V works that's great but one would still have the first issues I mentioned to overcome.

Shadowhntr

#12 Post by Shadowhntr »

Totally agree with your analysis CD. Your new stand gripper area is a vitual replica of the old grand slam I chucked. Hated it.

I have climbed many tree types with the summit successfully, even Sycamore. The only tree I have problems with the stand sliding, is on shag bark hickory. With them, I must peel a certain amount of bark away because it sticks out all over the place hindering the cables from climbing. Of course it leaves it pretty slick with its hard tight bark underneath, and the rock hard wood underneath dont help either. I only chose the shag bark, if its the last choice Ive got. Fortunately, I only have 2 to deal with. Once in position, I can rock the stand, and slowly bounce the teeth in far enough it will grip, but its spooky reaching that point. Im bringing a small ratchet strap to go on the upper to really sink it in when I hunt them 2 trees.

Other trees it digs in hard, and you do have to unstick them at times on certain trees.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#13 Post by Carpdaddy »

Don't think you can beat the Summit for stability and climbing safety. Just wish they weren't so darn expensive! And that they could figure out a way to make them fold flat for carrying. Also they should have to pack one around before they sell it, this would teach them that the weight does matter. They did build a lightweight model but are now inching back to crossing the 20 pound mark with their latest.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#14 Post by Carpdaddy »

While hitting the subject of having to use what they make let me give a shout out to one of our sponsors, ole Ron or Stay Sharp. While some of his inventions may not interest me simply because they are geared toward the compound hunter where the market is much greater. I still have an appreciation for a guy that's out there hunting rather than sitting in an office trying to figure out something we need to make things easier. And hey; he's a tradbow Hunter and made his own bow & broadheads. Sure wish more of the guys that are developing the products we use were using them themselves.

Shadowhntr

#15 Post by Shadowhntr »

Couldnt agree more Tony, with both post.

No way a Summit should cost $300, not that much to it. Its the same but worse with the Lone Wolfs. Id love one, but for that sit and climb, $450 just seems rediculous.

The original Summit Viper Classics can be had at $180 or so at Academy Sports, but they weight 29lbs. Both my boys use them and love them, but they are young and in good shape.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#16 Post by Carpdaddy »

I test drove the Lone Wolf a friend had with the hand climber. Gripped good, climbed good, and felt stable, I wasn't as thrilled with the comfort once there. I'm sure the sit and climb is probably more comfortable and many are totally satisfied with them. A part of feeling comfortable is feeling secure, although I'm sure it's plenty strong enough I just couldn't mentally feel safe with a belt instead of a cable or chain. Again this is just in my mind and I don't want to take anything away from one of the most popular stands out there.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#17 Post by Captainkirk »

Pretty much one of my bugaboos. I've hunted many years in trees, just never felt comfortable. Restrained, slow, cautious movements; just not where I want to be when pulling a bow. Done it, but don't like it.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#18 Post by Shadowhntr »

CD, is there anything about the lone wolf, that makes you feel its worth the extra money over a similar Summit? I know they pack much better in a flat formation. Anything else strike you?

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#19 Post by Carpdaddy »

They sure have a strong following, many consider them to be the top of the line. I have only tried one a few times and that was several years ago so I would not be qualified to say. I think if I had one of the Summit Viper SD Elite it would be challenging to go up from there. Just my opinion.

Gamestalker

#20 Post by Gamestalker »

I've got a Lone Wolf hand climber & love it. It's light weight for packing in & out. It doesn't make hardly any noise when going up or down & is very stable while in it. I can also make adjustments of the belt for the diameter of the tree if it's getting too skinny as I go up. I've never owned any other climber, but have seen & checked out others. A buddy of mine let me borrow his once & it was so heavy that I didn't even want to carry it into the woods. Anyway, I thought about getting the sit & climb Lone Wolf, but didn't want to spend the extra hundred bucks. Later, I had other people that had experience with them tell me that I was better off with the hand climber. That made me glad I didn't spend the extra money.

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”