Signs of the rut.

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Shadowhntr

Signs of the rut.

#1 Post by Shadowhntr »

Im looking for updates from those out in the field, that are seeing rut sign. Scrapes, doe being chased by bucks, and even fresh rubs. Whats everyone been seeing out there?
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Signs of the rut.

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

What I'm seeing is deer beginning to get careless; showing themselves in cornfields, crossing roads in traffic. The rut is not in full swing yet, but getting there.
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

When I was hunting in Ohio I saw some scraps but nothing serious, the small bucks seem to start early, they big boys know from experience that it's all in vain until the does are ready. Here in Ky I have not found or seen any sign of rut activity other than a few small scrapes and rubs. Sitting here thinking about going out this evening.

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

Im seeing a lot of scrapes opening up. Of course, not in my hunting areas, but I know its the same there. Was little to nothing most places 2 weeks ago, now its like a light switch turned on. Seeing some deer getting smacked on the interstate too. Im noticing a flurry of brand new rubs too....the aggressive type with real damage. Its starting...

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

Went this evening, saw some does but no bucks. Have been seeing some small bucks but not even they appear to be showing any signs and they usually start extra early. Got to be getting close!

Jamesh76

#6 Post by Jamesh76 »

I have seen more rubs and scrapes. 2 mature bucks last week and more and more car v deer accidents at work. maybe 5-6 a night for the last week.

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

Anyone seen bucks trailing, chasing, or even wanting to be with doe yet?

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#8 Post by Carpdaddy »

The friend who took me on his atv chasing Elk said he had a small one chasing a doe around. After taking me out Friday he went out Saturday morning and got one.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#9 Post by Carpdaddy »

Oops; I forgot that without pictures it didn't happen...

Ole Dave

#10 Post by Ole Dave »

NICE tine length on that ole boy...dang! I see a nice buck I'd likely wet my britches...been so long, I probably couldn't pull the bow...
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”