Best buck bait ever

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Shadowhntr

Re: Best buck bait ever

#11 Post by Shadowhntr »

For sure. Now, its hittin home I can relax and buck hunt, with meat in the freezer. IM not saying I wont miss judge, but my oath is of taking a buck bigger then the last one. Very possible in these parts and ive missed several bigger in the past. But now I know, I have to let some really nice bucks walk too, along with all the doe. I figure unless he is bigger, or at least highly unique, it would be silly to shoot a buck not big enough to justify another expensive mount. Buck meat isnt as good either, so for meat purpose id rather do a doe. Looks very likely I'll be having tag soup later....
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Shadowhntr

#12 Post by Shadowhntr »

Ok.... considering a change of plans. I may just kill another doe and be done. Tonight that doe may have became more important to me then an ol stinky buck. Ive got 3 words to explain. Grilled...fillet. ...mignon!

Oh my goodness....been a while since I ate a fresh doe. Forgot how stinking great they are! :P
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#13 Post by Carpdaddy »

Wish I was there to help!! :mrgreen: Good stuff for sure.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#14 Post by Captainkirk »

You can't eat antlers.
Aim small, miss small!

Mohawk

#15 Post by Mohawk »

Shadowhntr wrote:Ok.... considering a change of plans. I may just kill another doe and be done. Tonight that doe may have became more important to me then an ol stinky buck. Ive got 3 words to explain. Grilled...fillet. ...mignon!

Oh my goodness....been a while since I ate a fresh doe. Forgot how stinking great they are! :P
:lol: :lol: :lol: Ain't it funny how a good steak can change a fellers outlook!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#16 Post by Captainkirk »

Mohawk wrote: Oh my goodness....been a while since I ate a fresh doe. Forgot how stinking great they are! :P
:lol: :lol: :lol: Ain't it funny how a good steak can change a fellers outlook![/quote]

...or a kill under your belt. Once you remember what good eating a doe is, you sorta forget them antlers!
Aim small, miss small!

Ole Dave

#17 Post by Ole Dave »

Buck vs. doe meat...hmmmm...

I'm fond of saying I'd rather eat the ladies then... :shock:

NOT terribly PC, but ya'l know what I meant...

I only ever had one buck that was hard to eat... in full rut, shot 8am, never found till noon, washed out with baking soda, weather turned warm, dogs kept nipping at the deer and I couldn't skin off the bark to cool it, had to raise it up high in tree to keep mutts off it, stank so much buddy wouldn't' put in his Bronco even though it burned oil so bad it made your eyes burn... put on his buddy's van roof rack, Van broke down in warmer weather and rain, took 2 days to get it skinned out and meat reeked thru the whole deer! BBQ sauce on every bite! :(

Since, every deer gets skinned right now... cooled, aged in controlled temps of 38* or so, 3 days, de-boned and they all are good. Does just eat better.

In bow season we can shoot 4 doe here but in gun, 1 doe...and not till December! REally?

Grrrr... empty freezer. Only deer meat is what's been gifted to me over the past 2 yrs and it's been in freezer too long.

Better'n eating hog I guess!
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Gamestalker

#18 Post by Gamestalker »

We've never noticed any difference in how good a doe is versus a buck. But, most of my deer are skinned & quartered & in a refrigerator before they stop steaming & often times before they even stiffen up. I really think taking care of them quickly & properly is what makes the difference in how good eating they are. ;)

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#19 Post by Carpdaddy »

Gamestalker wrote:We've never noticed any difference in how good a doe is versus a buck. But, most of my deer are skinned & quartered & in a refrigerator before they stop steaming & often times before they even stiffen up. I really think taking care of them quickly & properly is what makes the difference in how good eating they are. ;)
Amen! Cleaning and processing my own deer has made the difference in taste more than anything else. I can't tell if my beef is male or female or if my chicken was a rooster. :lol:
The age of a critter can sometimes make it tougher, old squirrels require longer cooking times.

Longtrad

#20 Post by Longtrad »

The nastiest meat I ever ate was a deer burger my buddy made. Said he killed the mule buck during the rut and processed it all himself. Not sure if he got glands in there or what but it tasted like deer puke cologne, way worse than sagebrush antelope. That was a hard meal to keep polite through.

I've actually enjoyed all the wild hog meat I have came across, have never ate a lot of it. Kinda spooky seeing all the fleas and what not run off the dead pigs like water though... ehhhh

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”