Best buck bait ever

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
CARiD

Re: Best buck bait ever

#21 Post by CARiD »

Was it a picture from a trail cam or a regular camera? Looks like a Bushnell 8 megapixel trail camera. The quality if the image is pretty good, almost no pixelization.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#22 Post by Carpdaddy »

Welcome David, the pictures at the beginning of this post were taken with my cell phone camera while out hunting.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#23 Post by Captainkirk »

Yes, I echo that welcome, David! Glad you've joined us!
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#24 Post by Shadowhntr »

Welcome David!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

CARiD

#25 Post by CARiD »

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Been lurking for almost a month and finally decided to post)

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#26 Post by Captainkirk »

CARiD wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Been lurking for almost a month and finally decided to post)
We're glad you did! :mrgreen:
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#27 Post by Carpdaddy »

Another doe passed by yesterday, not a good picture but it was leaving, I had to make sure she had no followers first. Had three bucks pass yesterday, two small ones within 25 yards, and one that appeared decent out of range just before dusk.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#28 Post by Carpdaddy »

By the way; Mark didn't let his bait pass. I posted his kill on the harvest thread.

Ole Dave

#29 Post by Ole Dave »

Another David aboard...good show. Indeed, welcome... we need more posters!

Gamestalker wrote:We've never noticed any difference in how good a doe is versus a buck. I really think taking care of them quickly & properly is what makes the difference in how good eating they are. ;)
I agree on handling after they drop...never had luxury of skinned and in cooler while steaming, but soon as I can, I peel the bark off.

Been doing all my own deer cutting for 20+ yrs and yea, I've tasted differences. Shot a mulie doe in montana that lived on sage...gak! ate on a Wyoming buck sage fed, GAk! Guys told me the longer you cook sage fed critter the stronger the sage taste.

Had one rutty whitetail that was RANK...but it did NOT get handled well due to many factors but sure drove home the reality of handling.

I had a yearling doe that it got warm on me and I had her cut up and in freezer in 10 hrs, rigor wasn't out of the meat yet..and it was tougher then boot soles! Other does that were old, left to age 3 days in proper temps, were fork cut tender...go figure. I swear by aging if can be done in good temps...

Guy whacked a small deer with his car & brought to me to help him process... I gagged opening it up... guts were busted...used box of baking soda and buckets of water to wash out insides...still reeked but 3 days of hanging in cool, the bad smell went totally away and it was delicious!

I went so far as to use different gloves and knife to cut off the hock glands on buck and doe sos not to contaminate the other meat... and watch busting the pee sack... is it required? I dunno, but why chance it? Just easier to take ALL the precautions and enjoy the harvest.
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Shadowhntr

#30 Post by Shadowhntr »

I put up my deer all the same way. Immediately, well cleaned, defatted, and im picky. I still get a wangy buck every so often. Last years buck was an older deer, but was fantastic eating. We had some of Wyatts fresh younger buck, and though he isnt as bad as some, he is a bit stronger flavored. Some are definitely stronger flavored, no matter how well you care for the meat.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”