Ground blinds

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Cody2306

Ground blinds

#1 Post by Cody2306 »

I see there are a few topics on blinds and tree stands. I have no experience in the woods but I def want to get out there. Tree stand is out of the question because I don't have any experience with those and I do t want to get hurt. I don't know anybody who hunts so I will be figuring everything out on my own. I'm gonna go the ground route. But I'm seening pop up blinds . And I'm seeing these mirrors you set up to hide you and I was thinking something like that with a ghillie suite and maybe a ghillie blanket and make a blind like that. I was interested in hearing some ground blind strategies and maybe some photos of halls set ups. Does anybody use the mirrors or maybe ghillie suites and make a. A rural blind

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Ground blinds

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

My hunting partner creates some nice ground blinds using natural cover and brush around a fallen tree, trunk, or group of close trees. I have a hub blind and he has a couple, very effective on Turkey. For deer they need to be brushed in some or left up long term. I personally think that movement is what gives us away most of the time, be still or be seen. That's how we spot a deer; when they move! So my thinking is that it's doesn't take as much if you don't move so much. But I'm not one of those people, my head is back and forth like a Wal-Mart greeter! So I must climb or conceal.

Cody2306

#3 Post by Cody2306 »

Haha nice. I can't wait to play in the woods. I still got to get a few things together but soon. I'm trying to get a strategy together so I know what I need to do

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

I'd probably use a pop up for deer more if I could brush it up and leave it a while. I tend to use natural built blinds or natural blinds that nature has already made. So often I just use my hunting chair in a spot I feel is pretty concealed and hope for the best.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

I've hunted from the ground the last few seasons. Find a big-ass tree trunk to set up your portable stool or chair behind an brush it in good, sit on the downwind side of the tree. Start your scouting early on, deer notice when the view changes and are extremely aware and cautious. Best bet is to construct several blinds to accommodate wind shifts. I don't worry about concealing my backside because any deer is gonna wind you anyway from the upwind direction. You don't have to be invisible, just have enough brush to break up your outline and movement when drawing. The tree trunk will cover most of you. I really prefer a nice split trunk tree I can shoot between. I had a 4-pointer eyeball-to eyeball at around 7 yards two seasons ago. He knew something was up but couldn't pinpoint me until I drew.
The secret is to find the trails and feeding areas early on and brush in your blinds early in the season so the deer get used to them by hunting season.
Aim small, miss small!

Cody2306

#6 Post by Cody2306 »

Ok so I'm gonna end up making a ghillie suit and play around with natural blinds. That sounds more rewarding as well

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Yes, I've never used one but heard more than one person complain about portable blinds due to restricted vision and upper limb clearance. If the terrain supports natural blinds I would go that route. Look for a windfall tree; they make a great starting point.
Aim small, miss small!

Jose

#8 Post by Jose »

Finding a pop up that traditional hunters can use is difficult. I ended up with using the "Barronett Big Mike" blind. They are tall, spacious, and quick to set up. I shoot a 66" longbow out of mine. Love them!!

Graps

#9 Post by Graps »

Another nice this about tent blinds is , on a rainy day like today , I can sit dry and comfortable .
Attachments
IMG_20171015_153634907~01.jpg
IMG_20171015_153634907~01.jpg (36.64 KiB) Viewed 2470 times
IMG_20171015_153832991~01.jpg
IMG_20171015_153832991~01.jpg (50.86 KiB) Viewed 2470 times
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Crazynate

#10 Post by Crazynate »

I have been hunting strictly on the ground the last 3 years. I love it. I use a ghillie suit but I dont think they are always needed. The most important thing is to make sure your outline is broken up. I have learned a ton watching deer at ground level. You don't need anything fancy just find a big dead fall to sit in or make a small blind using what's around you. I carry small ratchet cutters and a bunch of zip ties in my pack. I can make a nice blind in about 10 minutes just using stuff on the ground. I try not to make them to big or the deer will notice you. I don't make them prior to hunting because on state land guys will see exactly where you hunt.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”