Baiting, laws, and fair chase.

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Baiting, laws, and fair chase.

#11 Post by Carpdaddy »

My favorite bait sight is when I find a big white Oak, red oak, chestnut oak, persimmon, etc, dropping nuts or other ripe food! If you hear them falling as a wind blows through the branches, then you find hoof prints and droppings, climb on the downwind side, they will be there!! This is especially true when not many acorns are falling and only a few trees or a patch of them is dropping. I have even taken deer feeding on beech. I am not above baiting by filling my pockets full of nuts to drop from the tree along when the wind is not making many fall. I have never seen a deer call more effective than the sound of falling nuts. It may be different where you live but I have had lots of success following the sound and sight of falling food! But I'm sure the sound of a feeder slinging feed is becoming familiar to them now days. I'm not against it and have used these things, but most of my years and success has come through "Hunting" them.

Mohawk

Re: Baiting, laws, and fair chase.

#12 Post by Mohawk »

Years ago, I built an elevated stand overlooking a crop field right on the edge where deer come out from the brush. It was on the east edge and good for a north, and any degree of west wind. I meant for it to be used by my kids for gun huntin, but my brother kind of adopted it. There was a ton of deer shot from it until it burned down 2 years ago. Quite honestly, I had thought about burning it down myself! It was getting to be a hassle to get my kids into it since my brother or one of his kids were always huntin it from opening day on and shooting the hell out of whatever showed up, to the point where If Boo saw a deer, she better shoot or be empty handed. Fortunately she shoots a rifle quite well and has been getting her deer. After my ol blind burned, my brother rebuilt and the spot still produces. However, if it came down to it, he or his kids don't know what to do if they can't hunt there or another blind or 2 on the place. I have never killed a deer from that blind, I prefer laying on the ground somewheres else, and that's what my kids will be doing for the most part. I do like a blind for the kids if it's raining, I don't want them getting soft. :lol: My brother does have a feeder out. I never really got that because the blind is on the edge of a field. The coons appreciate his effort though. :lol:

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”