Max effective range.

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
joe harrod1945

Re: Max effective range.

#21 Post by joe harrod1945 »

went hunting Saturday morning HUMID. the time i got to the tree i was going climb wet with sweat.climbed the tree in got set up.about 30 minutes later 2 young bucks came down the trail straight toward me never grabbed my bow just watched them.the younger buck came in closer about 10 yrds an started eating acorns an then the other one came in an started to eat.they eat around for about 20 minutes both in my range.the wind would move in all directions.finally they smelt me heads up an moved away.i enjoyed that time.back when there were very few deer the mentality was shoot the first deer that comes in close.it took many years for me to get out of that habit.so it started raining so i went home.

stumper

#22 Post by stumper »

What a sport. Good on ya.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Longtrad

#23 Post by Longtrad »

I don't like the idea of putting a number on it. To me it's more about feeling confident and sizing up all the variables.

Graps

#24 Post by Graps »

Longtrad wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:49 pm I don't like the idea of putting a number on it. To me it's more about feeling confident and sizing up all the variables.
2x on that.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Shadowhntr

#25 Post by Shadowhntr »

I have to put a number on it....I cant hit crap past 15 yards when it comes to deer...lol!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

oscar11

#26 Post by oscar11 »

I don't care for putting a number down for maximum effective range because it varies with the individual archer and conditions. There are times I'll pass on deer (well within my shooting range) because it just doesn't feel right. I don't really consider yardage That said my typical shot seems to be right around 12 yards.

Graps

#27 Post by Graps »

oscar11 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:24 am I don't care for putting a number down for maximum effective range because it varies with the individual archer and conditions. There are times I'll pass on deer (well within my shooting range) because it just doesn't feel right. I don't really consider yardage That said my typical shot seems to be right around 12 yards.
It's all about feel for me too.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

joe harrod1945

#28 Post by joe harrod1945 »

I have bow hunted deer for 54 years an never shot a deer over 35 yds.I have a new bow this year a 40# hybrid longbow 54"so 15 yds is the max.The bow is quiet with cat whiskers. I have had deer jump the sound of my bow. tuned my bow an arrows at 10 yds.My first bow was a browning nomad starker 43#,wooden arrows,with bear razor heads, 10 yd shot at doe.Doe went 30 yds an layed down an died.longbows an recurve bow are more fun an pleasure than all the other bows combined.If I CAN NOT GET A DEER 15 YDS FROM ME.I AM DOING SOME THING WRONG.That statement is very controversal an it sounds like i am bragging but that is how i see it.NO TRAIL CAMERAS,NO FEEDERS,NO CALLING DEVICES,NO ARTIFICAL SCENT CONTROL,NO COMPOUND BOWS,CROSSBOWS,AN ESPECIALLY NO GUNS OF ANY KIND.different strokes for different folks.

Graps

#29 Post by Graps »

;) Well put.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#30 Post by Captainkirk »

Joe, I think you echo the feelings of a good number of us here!
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”