Thoughts on ground blinds.

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Shadowhntr

Re: Thoughts on ground blinds.

#11 Post by Shadowhntr »

I'm still going to one day soon delve into getting a ghillie suit and trying it. To many success stories out there with them, for me to continue to ignore.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#12 Post by Carpdaddy »

I think that the thing that catches a Deer's eye is the same thing that catches our eye: Movement! A fallen tree, fat tree, rock, blind, or other things will help break your silhouette. But sit there swatting skeeters, twisting your head back and forth looking, or just trying to get comfortable by constantly moving, and your busted! That often holds true if your 30' in a tree also. Just think of how hard it is to see a deer when it is standing completely still, but a flick of the tail and you spot it. When they spot movement but haven't yet identified what it was they will bob their head searching and often stomp their foot trying to get it to move again. Whatever one chooses we must practice being still. Just my two cents.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#13 Post by Captainkirk »

Carpdaddy wrote:I think that the thing that catches a Deer's eye is the same thing that catches our eye: Movement! A fallen tree, fat tree, rock, blind, or other things will help break your silhouette. But sit there swatting skeeters, twisting your head back and forth looking, or just trying to get comfortable by constantly moving, and your busted! That often holds true if your 30' in a tree also. Just think of how hard it is to see a deer when it is standing completely still, but a flick of the tail and you spot it. When they spot movement but haven't yet identified what it was they will bob their head searching and often stomp their foot trying to get it to move again. Whatever one chooses we must practice being still. Just my two cents.
Excellent point. On occasion when I feel I'm moving too much, I hunt (silly as it sounds) with my eyes closed; just tuning in and listening to the sounds. You can oft times hear a deer before you can see him; many times a squirrel or crow will signal his approach long before you see him. It allows you to spend several minutes at a time in complete solitude and concentration, and more than once I've heard something and opened my eyes to an approaching deer.
Have any of you ever taken a catnap to be awakened by a deer or some other game animal within range? I once wakened to a ruffed grouse drumming 3 feet from my boots, oblivious to me (until I moved)
Aim small, miss small!

dhaverstick

#14 Post by dhaverstick »

I absolutely despise hunting in a ground blind and will only set foot in one during spring turkey season when it is absolutely needed for me to kill a gobbler with a bow. I have found them to be hot during the early part of archery season, I can't hear well in them, and I really hate my limited vision. If I'm hunting from the ground, it's in a ghillie suit and a brush pile.

Darren

Shadowhntr

#15 Post by Shadowhntr »

Ttt
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#16 Post by Captainkirk »

dhaverstick wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:57 am I absolutely despise hunting in a ground blind and will only set foot in one during spring turkey season when it is absolutely needed for me to kill a gobbler with a bow. I have found them to be hot during the early part of archery season, I can't hear well in them, and I really hate my limited vision. If I'm hunting from the ground, it's in a ghillie suit and a brush pile.

Darren
Darren, by "ground blind" I'm referring to a brush pile or blowdown and sitting on a stool behind a big tree. I can hear and see fine. I would find a tent blind confining as well...but maybe welcome in cold or windy conditions.
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#17 Post by Grizzly »

I bought an original Double Bull BS5 72" recurve model before Promos bought them out. I personally never liked them, but this one is way better than the noisy new stuff. I really bought it new for the son in law who couldn't sit still and it also came in handy with the grandsons. They are nice to have sometimes when you find a great spot but lousy trees or cover and to get out of the weather. I gave about $345 for it because they were and probably still are the best of the best. Maybe used half a dozen times and just sitting in storage in case anyone is interested. It's just like the one in this fellows ad.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3196113
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”