Western pack in hunt-Advice needed

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Western pack in hunt-Advice needed

#11 Post by Captainkirk »

Jeremy, that's the longest spelling of "volunteer" I ever read! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Aim small, miss small!

J. Holden

#12 Post by J. Holden »

I know right?! It's just hard to compete with a man's retirement schedule. LOL!

Longbowfanatic

#13 Post by Longbowfanatic »

J. Holden wrote:I think it's best to have a buddy. You can share the load. One guy carries the tent, the other guy carries the food and cook stove. Of course the other buddy needs to available. That always helps!

Seriously though, I don't think going in cold to an area will be an issue for you. I think based on what I've seen and talked with you about you'll be able to come up with a plan pretty quick. I once heard a podcast with Randy Newberg about his shows that he tapes. He goes in cold as well. He talks about a day or two scouting/planning and then the rest of the time hunting. I think if you're able to spend the time hiking around or glassing from different vantage points that may be the best way to go about it.

I just talked with my chiropractor today about his latest trip he took to Yellowstone backpacking. He mentioned a company that makes a sleeping "quilt". I believe he said the company was "enlightened equipment" and he'd buy the "950" nest time? I also just happened to see an Instagram post from Steven Rinella or Meateater regarding a tent and sleeping bag company. Looked pricey but I think those are two thing's I would not skimp on.

He also ate the mountain house food. He did mention he'd prefer to cut weight next time though. His pack was 50+ lbs. and ideally he said 40+/- would be better. His tent was a three season tent from REI that he also wishes it had been a 4 season because it started snowing and that started to dictate which route they took. One last thing he mentioned was less pants and shirts and more underwear and socks.

Hope you figure it all out before I can come with you!

-Jeremy
Good stuff, Jeremy. Thanks!

Longbowfanatic

#14 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Captainkirk wrote:Jeremy, that's the longest spelling of "volunteer" I ever read! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kirk,
You have figured Jeremy out pretty quickly. He always has an angle! :lol:

J. Holden

#15 Post by J. Holden »

"He always has an angle"

I think you meant I'm always an angel. That's alright buddy, it's hard to remember. I get it :D

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#16 Post by Captainkirk »

Longbowfanatic wrote:
Captainkirk wrote:Jeremy, that's the longest spelling of "volunteer" I ever read! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kirk,
You have figured Jeremy out pretty quickly. He always has an angle! :lol:
So what you're saying is...he's not a 'circular' kinda guy? :lol:

I think you should let him go. Every hunter needs a pack mule.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”