Stuff I learned about hunting while hunting

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Stuff I learned about hunting while hunting

#41 Post by Captainkirk »

Good points, Jim.
I will add, two years ago when my son hit a doe with an expandable (yech!!) a feller jumped in to help us track her. He had one of those 'blood lights' and it worked amazingly well at picking up tiny little droplets of blood we were looking right at but couldn't see. Unfortunately we lost her and the blood trail petered out. I'm positive it was a non-lethal hit. I told him then that a Zwickey wouldn't do that...
Aim small, miss small!

J. Holden

#42 Post by J. Holden »

Shadowhntr wrote:I'm almost afraid to ask....but I gotta! Which cut on contact 2 blade head your son use?
I bought him Magnus of course!

My son wanted expandables right off the bat when he started hunting with his compound. I've tried to explain to him that there are enough variables in hunting that we can't control. Expandable broad heads are one of them. It's another mechanical device that may or may not work properly. I've learned through my career to remove the thing's you can't control when you can and the outcomes will be tipped in your favor.

So being that he was 15 and still listened to me he started with Magnus 2 blade broad heads. Now that he's 17 we tried expandables. I think he sees the reasoning now. Although we are both not thrilled with the blood trail we got.

Another variable is that neither he or I sit real high in the tree stand and he can shoot farther than I. So I'm thinking that the exit wounds aren't real low and maybe that's got something to do with it. Maybe a few more feet up is prudent in the future.

I'm just glad we found this deer and he jumped back into the sort with pops. So many ups and downs this season I was afraid it may discourage him. Just wouldn't be same without my hunting buddy. ;)

-Jeremy

Mohawk

#43 Post by Mohawk »

I have wondered about those blood lights Kirk but just didn't know if it was one of the many gimmicks out there or not. I may check into one then. I haven't really heard much either way on em.
Jeremy, that flat trajectory leading to higher entry and exit wounds would definitely make a difference. The blood collects in the bottom of the chest cavity instead of following the wound channel. I have used rage heads with good luck, but only on a few deer, and more than once one of the blades came loose. This ended my fascination for mechanicals since I was only getting 2 blade exit wounds anyway. They look cool, but they just ain't built like a fixed blade head. If my kids jump on the archery hunting bandwagon, even if it is with a compound, I'll be steering them towards a head with a long single bevel cutting edge. Since kids listen so well, I'm sure it'll go over smoothly. :roll:

Shadowhntr

#44 Post by Shadowhntr »

Magnus have killed a lot of deer. Sometimes just the way a hit happens, blood trails aren't to whippy no matter what heads we use.
However, we can increase our chances of getting a good blood trail. Many guys opt for 3 or 4 blade heads but I will say that physics says it's easier to push 2 blades through then 4 blades. And a long lean head is easier to push through then a short wide one. So going to 3 or 4 blade heads can hinder penetration, especially with lighter weight trad bows. Listen, here is the kicker...many will say you don't need all that penetration for deer. I've never over penetrated a deer to date but what I'm about to say is not ALL about just better penetration.
My point? Though they arent perfect, single bevel heads gives you a ragged cut from the head rotating from the force that is applied on those edges as it passes through. A double bevel does not, it simply pushes straight through often leaving the dreaded slits that can sometimes take place with them. Physics also says, the larger the surface area of the bevels on a single bevel exerts more turning force that is going to take place as it passes through...giving a better wound more often.
I would encourage you to move up in head weight to obtain a wide beveled single bevel head...as a result from the thicker metal that comes with a heavier head, coupled with a long lean build with a working incline ratio of at least 2.5 or more. You do that, and tell me if your blood trails are better more often then they have been.
If you go with a 125 gr single bevel, don't expect much change because the metal is thin enough it has a tiny bevel compared to say 185+ gr, for instance. Just a thought.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Shadowhntr

#45 Post by Shadowhntr »

Some big wounds from very narrow, long single bevels with heavy weight thick metal and large bevels.

200gr Kodiak, then a 300gr tuffhead.
Attachments
20161113_104912_zpsbme7s84d.JPG
20161113_104912_zpsbme7s84d.JPG (197.06 KiB) Viewed 744 times
20161102_205410_zpsyqliiotz.JPG
20161102_205410_zpsyqliiotz.JPG (143.72 KiB) Viewed 744 times
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Graps

#46 Post by Graps »

Can't beat a two blade for performance, single bevel is even better.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

joe harrod1945

#47 Post by joe harrod1945 »

traditional bow hunting has a lot of challenges an a lot more fun than any other hunting.I usually have 2 to 3 good shots a year.the time in the woods out weights every thing else.I usually hunt by myself my grandson hunts when he has the time.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#48 Post by Carpdaddy »

Deer pay Squirrels to get you looking in another direction while they walk by. By the time you look back around the deer has passed and is walking away!

joe harrod1945

#49 Post by joe harrod1945 »

expect the unexpect.I was bow hunting during gun season on wma.when early in the crack of dawn seen something moving about 75 yds away it was a hunter with no orange on he stopped about 50 yds away sit down by a big oak tree an put his orange on layed his gun on his lap.when it got light he was me got up took his orange off an walked out of the woods.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#50 Post by Carpdaddy »

joe harrod1945 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:02 am expect the unexpect.I was bow hunting during gun season on wma.when early in the crack of dawn seen something moving about 75 yds away it was a hunter with no orange on he stopped about 50 yds away sit down by a big oak tree an put his orange on layed his gun on his lap.when it got light he was me got up took his orange off an walked out of the woods.
I have meet those type hunters and have chosen to no longer hunt among them, Rifle season comes, I go! Not that all are like that but that season seems to bring a few out of the woodwork. As my dad would say...
“Their Lights are on, but ain’t nobody home!

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”