Fawn Calls

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
stumper

Fawn Calls

#1 Post by stumper »

First off I'm gonna say this.... I have yet to make my first traditional harvest..... However, I also have never had the shot to do so and I am thinking that this is my year. I have done more scouting and I am getting into the woods more than I have in the past couple years (last year did not make it at all =/). Recently, I have been reading about early bow season and calls. Today I dropped 9 bucks and picked up a Fawn Bleat, which I hear are good for bringing in the doe pre-rut (especially the distress bleat and did I mention I love doe meat). My questions are many regarding this topic so here they go. How many of you use vocal calls when deer hunting? Is there a particular call/technique you use? I know some of you rattle antlers so that you can injure your hands :lol:. Or do you all just sit quiet and wait (I have done this to no great effect)? Spill your deer enticing secrets...... I am here to sit at the feet of wisdom, so that I may one day pass on the secrets. DONT HOLD BACK ON ADVISE!
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Jose

Re: Fawn Calls

#2 Post by Jose »

I don't have near as much experience as a lot of folks here, but here is what I think on calls. I have used fawn in distress calls in the past but only found them to work very early season. Never had luck with them actually past the first or second week of season here which starts October 1st. I could really see them working in those states where season starts in September. I have used bleats and grunts with success when the rut is beginning. I usually won't blind call deer and have had more of my success in using them to come to my stand after I have seen them. In our area many hunters use calls which have made the deer somewhat call shy. I really like rattling when the hard running is going on. That seems to be the best time for me. I don't use calls near as much as I use to simply because the deer can get educated pretty quick. Again, I am no expert and this is what seems to work where I hunt. I know others can pipe in with much better advise but I thought I would get the ball rolling....

J. Holden

#3 Post by J. Holden »

Hey Dave,

Have you checked out YouTube for some videos regarding early season calling? There's quite a few out there and they give you an idea of the tone and cadence I think you're looking for. I have tried it and have had no success as of yet.

I used to also sit quietly and let the others make the racket. I hunt public land 99% of the time and I used to think it was better if I could slip in, hunt, and slip out. However I also wasn't seeing much game. Now I'm sure that was because I was usually in the wrong spot. I've gotten better at that I'd like to think.

However now I think I'd rather not see anything and have tried than not try and not see anything. What can it hurt right? I do some blind grunting every 15-20 minutes. I'll just make a few grunts, maybe some clicks, maybe just a grunt.

My son rattled in two bucks last night, on public land. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I'm no expert and have only killed two more deer than you. However I've become more apt to try something than nothing.

-Jeremy

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

I know that they have been effective for many but personally I have never had known success using calls. Been a few years since I have tried one at all, my lack of use and experience probably contributed to my lack. I’m just a find bed and dining room, set up on best trail between, and sit quietly. Or set up on food source like a Oak dropping nuts or a trail coming to a field. But this thread may end up causing me to buy a call, I’m certainly interested to learn.

stumper

#5 Post by stumper »

Watched a couple YouTube’s and it seems pretty easy to use and match their cadence. Also listened to a few wild fawns for some ideas.

Crazynate

#6 Post by Crazynate »

Hey man. We have early doe seasons here in MI and a fawn bleat is one of the BEST WAYS TO CALL IN A DOE. I have shot a few that came charging in like a buck chasing a doe. I have also noticed when they come in thy are less worried about scent and movement if they are really convinced a fawn is in trouble. You'll also call in coyotes too when doing it. But here in MI I don't use them past the first week of October. Closer to the rut I really on my buck grunter more. Once in awhile a doe grunt or bleat. When using any call don't be afraid to be loud. Especially on windy days. Quiet no wind days use soft tending grunts to bring them in. If you like to read about whitetails like I do pick up a book called whitetail strategys by Peter Fudducia . It will help you understand the science behind deer grunts noises etc.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

My son has used fawn bleats with some success. He also raves about Peter Fiduccia's book and I have watched a number of his You Tube videos (most of them are on there). I have never had much success with calls of any nature. I believe part of it has to do with the user him (or her) self, and part is your locale and how deer behave in your neck of the woods.

They don't call him the 'Deer Doctor' for nothing:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... eQ36Jd_Ce0

Just because it hasn't worked for me doesn't mean it doesn't work!!!
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#8 Post by stumper »

Gonna give it a go tomorrow what’s the worst they could happen??? I don’t kill a deer again :lol:

Graps

#9 Post by Graps »

I'm kinda thinking it's better to not call than to do it wrong .
But I have a custom grunt call coming in the mail , so I'm going to try it and see what happens .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

There are both benefits to any type calling, and also detriment.

I don't use much calling on a normal basis for a couple negatives they bring to the table with them.
1. Deer do NOT have to come straight in staying up wind. More often then not they will approach from down wind, effectively ruining any chance you may have had. Often with bucks you won't even know that they busted you. With calling...you are hoping for that one deer to come charging in throwing caution to the wind. But how many deer you spooked hoping for that one, is not worth it to me.

2. Deer are very keen. Keen means they can narrow down in an instant where that sound came from with surprising accuracy. It's never a good idea to have a deer looking for any indication of what's going on knowing right where it came from. They will be fully alert, and any little thing out of line they will notice. Not good for the hunter who needs the element of surprise.

That being said, I use mainly a grunt for bucks that are well juiced up. I only use it if it's an absolute last resort to get a shot on a buck I've seen, but know the shot won't happen naturally. I rarely rattle, but have seen instances where it worked for me...though I didn't shoot for being picky. The set up has to be just right, with the right deer in the right mood to benefit and even then it's risk outweights the benefits to me so I rarely use it or any call for that matter. Calls are a hope and a prayer last resort effort for me.
It's more important to go through the learning curve to be able to get on deer naturally. It's not that hard, if you follow a few rules and thought processes and stick to them. When I learned how to approach deer hunting,...I went from seeing nothing or little in a season, to days of watching 20+ deer in a single morning go right through my shooting lane of 15 yards.... and all on the same 20 acre patch as I was seeing nothing on before. It changed my hunting life forevermore.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”