Hunting deer out of a tree saddle

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
Graps

Re: Hunting deer out of a tree saddle

#11 Post by Graps »

2X on that ^^^^
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

White Falcon

#12 Post by White Falcon »

No thanks, my bones break real easily!

Longbowfanatic

#13 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Yea, this technique is definitely not for everyone. Good to know, VTBow!

VTBow

#14 Post by VTBow »

longbowfanatic check out saddlehunter.com A bunch of nutz like me hanging from trees. some great DIY projects, and a flood of great info and videos.

Longbowfanatic

#15 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Thx, VT. I'll check it out.

joe harrod1945

#16 Post by joe harrod1945 »

They claim it is safer than tree stands.I bought one an do not believe it is safer to many things can happen.You make one small mistake or move the wrong way an your hanging on the side with no way to get down safely or dead or crippled for life.Do you know the 3 point safety rule 3 points contact at all times.People are hunting 20 to 30 feet up a tree.I see people using a lone wolf seat for the platform.The seat is not made like the platform.the platform is ridged the seat is not the seat is slippery.BE SAFE MY FRIENDS

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#17 Post by Captainkirk »

joe harrod1945 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:40 am They claim it is safer than tree stands.I bought one an do not believe it is safer to many things can happen.You make one small mistake or move the wrong way an your hanging on the side with no way to get down safely or dead or crippled for life.Do you know the 3 point safety rule 3 points contact at all times.People are hunting 20 to 30 feet up a tree.I see people using a lone wolf seat for the platform.The seat is not made like the platform.the platform is ridged the seat is not the seat is slippery.BE SAFE MY FRIENDS
Yes, Joe. I agree. I did my share of tree hunting in the past but no longer feel at ease. Too many things can (and do) go wrong.
I fell off a ladder stand that collapsed in soft mud a decade ago and narrowly missed breaking my ankle. As it was, it gave me a severe sprain that put me on crutches for 3 weeks. After that I said "no more".
Aim small, miss small!

dougedwards

#18 Post by dougedwards »

20 reasons why you should hunt from a Tree Saddle:

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/arti ... ree-saddle

Doug
"Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another."
Ephesians 4:25

dougedwards

#19 Post by dougedwards »

At 64 yrs of age I tend to frequent the stands that are most comfortable to sit for five hours or more. Also ones that offer a greater field of view which is the opposite of how I hunted in my youth. Years ago I would struggle to carry a large bag of screw-in tree steps with a small lock-on stand on my back and wade into swamps to find just the right strategical tree. These days, I read an online Bible and even post on forums while sitting in my stand. Yes, I do miss opportunities but I am more interested in experiencing a gorgeous Autumn day than I am dragging a deer for about a half a mile.

The deer saddles look interesting but a wide, padded seat in which I can move around and lay my phone or a grunt call or binoculars beside me is what I prefer. I get my meat at Food Lion. I get my peace of mind during long sessions of thought and prayer in a tree stand.

Doug
"Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another."
Ephesians 4:25

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#20 Post by Captainkirk »

dougedwards wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:30 am ...but I am more interested in experiencing a gorgeous Autumn day than I am dragging a deer for about a half a mile.
That, right there, nails it. :D
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”