manipulated some deer recently

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
jaydee2trad

manipulated some deer recently

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

Hello all. We live in an area that has some houses relatively close but mostly out in the country of western Arkansas. We have a large mountain that starts upward right behind the house and so we get a lot of critters at our house constantly. We also have a fenced in garden that we try very hard to keep the deer out of. Our closest neighbors don't hunt, just too elderly but have a much larger garden and fruit trees etc that the deer like to eat. The land between our log home and the garden has grown up considerably the last 4 or 5 years due to lack of work because of a dying parent. So, we have deer, we have a food source that they want but we want as well. The thicket mess is just that, a mess and yet the deer manage to get around just fine. So, being limited on my ability to walk and so on, I decided to put up a stand as well as a salt lick for the deer to use. I had explained to my wife that I could divert the deer to walking right thru in front of my short brushed in stand. So, armed with a wheeled brush whacker as well as loppers and saws, we cut a trail tru from the salt lick to go across in front of my stand and then on onto the county road about 100 yards away. This would give me a 10-15 yard shot with numerous thick brushy spots to hide my movements. I have always been more of a meat hunter than a trophy hunter plus we are just feeding these deer anyways for others to harvest. Anyways, we didn't even have the trail completed and the deer were already using it. We have photos (game camera) as well as numerous piles of droppings. Deer tend to be lazy like us and will take the easiest way if possible. Now I have made sure that the trail is still pretty thick on the sides in many places to make them feel more secure. But you gotta love it when you find droppings out in front of your stand. I had to keep control of the wife as she helped me, she tends to want everything wide open everywhere but not me, I want enough stuff to allow them to walk behind to allow me to draw my bow. i may be older now and a little crippled up but I hunt smarter now with what I have learned over the years. Kinda hoping that this big 8 point hangs around long enough for season LOL but a doe will do just fine. Thanks for reading JD

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: manipulated some deer recently

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Sounds like you have a good setup! Best of luck this season.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Thanks for sharing, JD. Hoping this will bear fruit for ya come deer season.
Aim small, miss small!

Elkman
Site Admin

#4 Post by Elkman »

That sounds like it should work pretty good.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”