Deer and a heavy rain

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
jaydee2trad

Deer and a heavy rain

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

I'm sure that many of you know this but some don't. This holds true mainly when it hasn't rained in a week or so. But right after a heavy rain, the deer tend to suddenly move hard for about 30 minutes or so. This is usually immediately after the rain stops. I have no idea why they do this but they do. Normally the moon affects the deer but sudden weather changes can alter them. Some people get out of their stands when it rains but I have used tree umbrellas for years and stick it out. It does pay off. An old man shared that with me about the first heavy rain and over the years I found it to be true here in Arkansas. JD

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Deer and a heavy rain

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Took a Doe once during a downpour! Got caught in or wouldn’t have been out, it was awful. Had rain suit pulled over my head while a monsoon tried to drown me, could only look down while in treestand, suddenly I catch a glimpse of a Doe pass directly under me. I turned and watched it bed down 15 yards or less from me. Dropped the rain suit off behind me, wasn’t wearing it, just covered over me. Grabbed my bow and shot deer, covered back up and waited for rain to stop, then went to where I saw it last. Did recover it. But I don’t knowingly go out and hunt during a rain like that and I’m far too old now!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

I don't think I'd be out in the rain unless like Carpdaddy, I got caught in it.
Aim small, miss small!

jaydee2trad

#4 Post by jaydee2trad »

Yes, I agree now myself but I have set in the truck and hurried to my stand as it let up. it has paid of in deer and one coyote

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”