hiding your entrance to your trail to your stand

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
jaydee2trad

hiding your entrance to your trail to your stand

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

Years ago and after numerous jerks and thieves, I began to get smarter about everything. First off, I never parked close to where I went into my trails. Now I have to clarify something here, I have been hunting very thick areas of mainly pine plantaions here in the south. but also National Forest and Management areas with thick brush. So any trail cut in would be seen very quickly from the road and capitalized by the jerks who can't do their own scouting or are just too lazy. So, after doing various thing on entrances, I finially settled on a zig zag entrance where the trail actually started at a sharp angle to the right or left for a few feet before zagging back for a several more and then becoming more of a straight path. This hid the fact that there was a path or trail even there except when the deer started using it for they would leave tracks at the road. A lot of people would leave brightly colored ribbons to mark where they went in or even a small sapling broken over but that just screams hunt here to the jerks. So I would use a chunk of wood, a rock or two(not in a pile) or even old discarded trash that looked like it had been thrown out the year before and I still didn't put it right at the spot but maybe 20 feet away. now my simgle pole ladders, I would cut a tall cedar tree and move it over to the tree where the ladder was and tie it to the tree in a manner to help mask the ladder. Then for years I used cut cedar to fill in and brush in the stand to hide both it and me. I later began using old discarded Christmas trees for this (they don't turn brown either. These limbs had wire in them which made it easier to attach plus bend however I needed them. Then I used the Christmas Garland to wrapp around the seat and other things to hide it from obvious view. I have had numerous guys come sneaking by me like this and never see me or know that anyone was around. I used tie down ropes for the ladder that were camo to hide them as well. I would even leave them up year round in places that would have meant getting stolen before. One of my friends actually had someone get into his stand and leaving a dump or pile of human waste on his seat. people can be such jerks. And when I dragged a deer out to the road, I always had a place to come out on away from my trail entrance. A lot of my entrances I actually left with standing stuff to hide them even more. JD

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: hiding your entrance to your trail to your stand

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Many times this sort of behavior has made me just not want to hunt any more.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”