The High hits and ridges or mountains

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
jaydee2trad

The High hits and ridges or mountains

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

Where I live and hunt is primarily ridges or mountains and so we do a lot of tracking either going up or going down. When going down and I know that I made a good hit and yet the blood has played out, I head on down towards water because they tend to go to water. Have found a lot of deer that way and brother, they can cover a lot of ground in 10-30 seconds if they live that long. But a high hit on a deer that is going up hill can be a frustrating blood trail. You might have a decent blood trail that suddenly shuts off. Oh the deer is still bleeding and probably a lot but it is now staying inside the animal because the change of angle from the climb shuts off the opening of the wound(s). You just have to look more closely for other evidence of it's path or just go on up, gridding as you go. I have always been a toilet paper guy that leaves small wadded up bits of toilet paper at each drop of blood. Most of the time, you can look back and get a sense of travel direction but every once in a while, abrupt changes are made in another direction. So after you have depleted your upward search, I go back to the last piece of paper and begin looking for a turn. Most of the time when you do find the deer from a high hit that has left slim blood, it will look like a while bucket of blood has been poured out around the body. But sometimes it is all still inside the body cavity. I have twice, had a bigger buck go up the big ridge about 75 yards or so and then come right back down, just veering off to one side just enough not to be able to see the trail. The bottom line is this, just because the blood trail has suddenly quit doesn't mean that it isn't dead less than a hundred yards from you. You just have to do a better job of tracking or where if legal, use a leashed dog to find it. JD

Elkman
Site Admin

Re: The High hits and ridges or mountains

#2 Post by Elkman »

Could not have said it better. We owe it to the animal do our best to recover them. That is good info that some may not have picked up on.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

I never tried the TP approach. That can be dangerous behavior in today's CV-19 hoarding world... :lol:

But seriously...great idea! I've used flagging tape to mark a trail before but I like the TP idea better. Biodegradable and quite visible, as you say.
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#4 Post by Grizzly »

I've found a few dead or hiding in some strange places. Under the bank of a creek. In a hillside drainage crevice and in an erosion cut in the middle of a field. A friend found one hiding in an old hog shelter but it was sick with blue tongue or infection or something. I've spent alot of time on my knees following trails through places a rabbit couldn't go,,,,,,,
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

jaydee2trad

#5 Post by jaydee2trad »

I watched a small buck bury in a clump of green of honey suckle and limbs right before a hunter came around in the opening. the deer had disappeared completely. Yeah, under dead trees etc and once under the back porch of a house..big buck too!

Grizzly

#6 Post by Grizzly »

I had to do that growing up in Brooklyn a time or two.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”