Two blade or three blade and why?

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
jaydee2trad

Two blade or three blade and why?

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

I have both and have used both. Have felt that I had less penetration with the three blade a couple of times but it was a quartering frontal shot that had never been a problem before with a two blade. I feel that the odds of a pass thru for me are higher with the two blade and I have killed most of my deer with a two blade. I tend to sharpen the two blades easier or quicker. Now shooting lighter poundage, I will lean even more so with the two blades. I believe in pass thru's as the thing to do if possible to have two blood trails working for me to aid in easier recovery. I have made a few leather broadhead covers for single two blade heads, makes for safer carrying in the hand. On a not so perfect shot with the two blade where I hit just muscle, the two blade wounds even on pass thru's seem to heal up pretty fast for the deer. My one head shot between the eyes of a doe when it jerked it's head up, was with a two blade and even with the very light poundage of about 38 lbs, it blew right thru it. But I know that both types of heads have their plus and minuses and it is a confidence thing too. To me, the biggest key is in making sure that the stupid thing is killer sharp in the first place. I have the old Bear Razorhead glue on's, Bear Razorhead lights screw in, Zwickys and some Deadheads. I have two makes of three blades and a mixed variety of the old Grizzly two blade single bevel heads. I wish that I had more of the single bevel heads but it is what it is these days.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Two blade or three blade and why?

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

I'm a fan of the two blades myownself. No particular reason, other than if it was good enough for Fred Bear...
Actually, some of the reading I've come across mirrors your thoughts, Jerry. Extra blade=extra friction. I have a number of the Bear Razorheads (some with bleeders) but I've heard (but not experienced) the tips can curl on a bone hit. I've been primarily using Zwickey Eskimos in 125gr. So far I've only hunted using cedars with my trad bows. (I used exclusively Eastons with my wheelie bows, but that's another story) I love hunting using my vintage Bears, handmade cedar arrows and Zwickeys. It just feels right.
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#3 Post by Grizzly »

I started out with the Bear Razorheads, but left them all behind in NJ and upstate NY. I had a half dozen of Peason's huge 2 blade heads but never did make a shot with them. Years later, I thought they were a poor design and never hunted again with them. Once i really got moving again with the recurves I bought some 125 gr Magnus 2, and some ace 125 gr two blades and never looked back. I accumulated some 3 blade heads of all sizes but mostly only used them for broadhead shoots for extra points. The big ones make massive holes in the cardboard animal targets that the club up above Rockford, Illinois used. Even then though, I'd run the coarse with my 2 blades just to get some practice in with what I hunted with. Some of the guys really like the narrow 3 blade Woodsman heads for hunting. I tried them a few times up there on targets and they do shoot well. Never used one on a deer though. With all my 40# to 46# bows, I just felt comfortable using 2 blades for all the same reasons already mentioned.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

jaydee2trad

#4 Post by jaydee2trad »

Some guys swear by the big Deadheads, I have never used them. I do think some wood arrows grab the flesh a little bit more and slow the arrow down in penetration. I think the finish used makes a little bit of a difference on the drag. But arrow placement is the biggest key besides how sharp the head is in terms of a possible pass thru. I wish that I had the materials and equipt to make my own steel two blades because I would.

Graps

#5 Post by Graps »

A good two blade is unbeatable, less drag and as far as woods dragging in flesh, you have fat and blood that is an amazing lubricant.
Another case of worrying how fast a pass through shot will be.
A guy with a 45# self bow and cane arrows with a stone point can get a pass through on a buck quite often.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Grizzly

#6 Post by Grizzly »

Hi Graps. What's amazing to me, is how you can launch a 200 to 300 grain all lead spitzer at 1800 or more fps from a muzzle loader and most times it stops in a deer on the far side hide yet an arrow at only 10% of that speed can pass through. That a stone can is truly amazing. Then again, there's not that much to passing through a set of lungs unless you get all tangled up in the ribs I suppose.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Another hello, Graps!
Yes...amazing. If you've ever handled a nice, sharp piece of flint and had your fingers sliced up like you were juggling razor blades, well...not so surprising. Griz, the difference between a bullet and a sharp broadhead is like trying to push a needle through leather compared to say, a push rod. Not hard to see why a sharp BH can give a pass-thru (if you miss bone) compared to a bullet.
Aim small, miss small!

jaydee2trad

#8 Post by jaydee2trad »

I always looked at a two blade as being like being stabbed with a fillet knife, you probably will have to look down to see if you were really cut, even if poked thru the ribs. way too much game and men taken with the old two blade whether steel or stone.

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”