Ever let your bow down only to have a deer come in?

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
jaydee2trad

Ever let your bow down only to have a deer come in?

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

I have let my bow down and my back pack only to have to slowly try to pull it back up. Managed one time to get it done but a couple of times the deer were walking to fast and I didn't make it at all. One time I had climbed down out of the tree only to see a deer working its way to me. I managed to get back up and in the tree with my bow etc but still blew the shot. Another time, I just got impatient and decided to climb down to go to another stand. I had gone maybe fifty yards and just happened to look back to see a buck standing right under my stand. One other time, I was high in a pine tree when I realized that I needed to get down right now for a nature break that might turn bad. I was in a climber and got down as fast as I dared. I left my bow hanging in the tree and the climber of course hanging on the tree. I hurried off and took care of the problem, relieved, I was hurrying back to my climber when I spotted a very nice 8 point staring at my climber...and my bow was still up in the tree. I know that I can't be the only one to do these things. Jerry

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Ever let your bow down only to have a deer come in?

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Nope. You're not.
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#3 Post by Grizzly »

We try not to remember but have to laugh sometimes at the irony of it all.

Probably the nicest buck I ever shot at is one of those stories. I first spotted him as he contemplated turning the corner and walking down the field edge i was up in a stand on. This guy was cautious- way more cautious than the most mask wearing virus fearing folks we run into shopping. He took forever to first turn the corner and then start slooowly walking my way. By the time he was in front of me I was so out of it that I just flung one over his back. After kicking myself for loosing all focus on the shot, I finally decided to get down and go find my arrow. Can't remember if I ever did find it after a search in the tall grass, but as I was climbing the ladder and almost to the top, I look behind me and there he is again, all lined up for another shot and this time he'd brought a friend with him, another nice buck. All you can do is hang your head and try to get over it. Maybe even laugh a little at yourself - like the time years before when I chose the wrong pin at the last minute, shot high and stuck the arrow in the base of his antler and watched him prance across the field with my arrow waving at me for what seemed like an eternity as I tried hard not to throw that old compound out of the tree as far as I could and finally had to laugh it off.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Jamesh76

#4 Post by Jamesh76 »

nope, lowered my bow down one time and stopped just above the rack of a small buck. It was early season and really dark with all the leaves. I could only see the white on his rack. Could barely hear him due to all the bugs, frogs etc.

jaydee2trad

#5 Post by jaydee2trad »

that would have been fun

stumper

#6 Post by stumper »

Yes. Been there.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

EWill

#7 Post by EWill »

Yes, she even stopped and sniffed one of my practice shots stuck in the ground. How she didn't smell me on the arrow I have no idea because my shooting glove is smelly.

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”