Sometimes a great shot doesn't work out

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
jaydee2trad

Sometimes a great shot doesn't work out

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

years ago, I was up in my climber with a used longbow that I had aquired in a trade. it was a 55 lb bow and it seemed to shoot pretty good. I had taken a squirrel with it and now had a wooden arrow with bevel two edge grizzly head. It was about 8:45 when after rattling several times, a very nice 11 point came in looking for the fight. I had a perfect shot and so drew and took it. But instantly all hell broke loose both with my bow and with the buck. My lower limb had separated and threw my shot as well as dropped the velocity of the arrow. I watch in shock as the arrow hit way forward thru the upper shoulder. Normally with decent power, the broadhead would have punched right on thru but this time it didn't. I watched as the deer ran past me and then dropped down over the edge of the ridge out of sight. There was no doubt that it didn't go deep enough and I was dissappointed. But even worse was the now useless bow that I held in my hand. I couldn't even shoot a second shot if I had it. That was my one and only bow breakage I ever had during a hunting shot. made me sick in so many ways. One never knows when a bow is going to fail and we hope that it never happens but it can at any time. A dog was brought in about 12 hours later to see if it could be recovered but the owner turned it loose. the buck was jumped about 20 yards from where I had lost the trail and it was run out of hearing. it happens.

Hill billy

Re: Sometimes a great shot doesn't work out

#2 Post by Hill billy »

It doesn’t matter how prepared a hunter is. If he or she hunts long enough there will be mishaps regardless of how careful that person may be. I’ve only had one bow break a limb and it was a few days before I was scheduled to leave on a bear hunt. The only thing worse is your scenario at the moment of truth. It just happens

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Sometimes a great shot doesn't work out

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

Unfortunately yes, stuff happens, don’t like but got to live with it.

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”