Shooting straight down

Share your deer hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt deer. Ask any questions you may have about deer hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to deer hunting tips and tactics in this forum.
jaydee2trad

Shooting straight down

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

I have taken several deer with nearly straight down shots. most of these were from an Ole Man climbing treestand that allowed me to do so. Most were a minimum of 22 feet up as well and I always felt totally in control. My first deer with a bear razorhead was nearly straight down between the shoulders, a big mature doe. To me, whether a recurve or a longbow, it was all about being very confident in your close range shooting. To take it from "I think that I can make it" to "this is a gimme shot!" To know that you can drill a tiny spot, even something like a lizard or a grasshopper on the ground. Nothing like watching a big snake make it's way over in front of you and you easily pin its head to the ground. To me, from the early days of shooting paper cups scattered on the ground from up high to shooting pinto beans, it was about becoming the master of the close shots. To me, the stick and string lends itself to doing this better than a compound. Bowfishing, I practiced on the tiny fish to force myself to pick a tinier spot to shoot. I got pretty darn good at shooting minnows and snake heads. anyways, you practice for those downward shots and they become super easy.

Jamesh76

Re: Shooting straight down

#2 Post by Jamesh76 »

Just a shot I won't take. I Don't trust my skill or the angle.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

I prefer not to take the shot but I have on different occasions. It can often lead to a long and tough time trailing. Usually a one lung shot at best. But I have managed to hit the spine a few times and that drops them straight down upon impact. I don’t like that either though because you usually have to quickly follow with a second shot. Most of the time I wait until I have a better angle and shot. But I cannot deny taking the shot. I can only remember loosing one that for some reason I shot far left and only grazed it. I have completely missed this shot also! Lol
My expertise hardly qualifies me for bean shooting! Lol
But everyone should practice those close and straight down shots; never know.

Hill billy

#4 Post by Hill billy »

I have made that shot but I definitely shy away from them now. The last time I took that shot I had to turn hard left right under me and thought it was a done deal. My lower limb hit my right thigh! I was going thru a shooting game slump anyway and now I’m definitely shy of straight down shots. But every hunter has his strengths and weaknesses! Every hunter has to utilize his own tool box

White Falcon

#5 Post by White Falcon »

Shot one like that.

jaydee2trad

#6 Post by jaydee2trad »

For me it was getting the angle to clip both lungs or take out the heart. Have taken a head shot or two. But I have shot snakes between my feet as well as a skunk. Shooting the tiny targets like I did and all of the bowfishing that I did just gave me plenty of confidence in very close shots. I shot a lot of bees off of the clover and hoovering above it with blunts. That was how I taught beginners to shoot, tiny targets.

Grizzly

#7 Post by Grizzly »

Shot a skunk???????? and a bee??????? and a bean???????? Oh, got to love it. I love putting an arrow right alongside another's when they are in the 10 ring on a 3d but I'm not good enough for beans and bees even though I don't doubt it can be done. I agree, that is great practice. In Viet Nam where I discovered a large straw target and stand along with a fiberglass bow and some arrows, I used to love shooting at bar coasters from the hip at about 10 to 15 yards. I'm not exactly sure how deep that little store room was. Now that I remember, I used to pick an arrow hole to always aim at on a target if and when I could identify one in the right spot. Occasionally I would come darn close. BUT, I would never shoot a skunk with a bow :o :shock:

I remember many, many years ago when Mom kept complaining of someone prowling around outside the house. So one time I grabbed the shotgun and went to investigate. I spotted some movement and put the flashlight on what was a skunk going under the porch they had converted into a bed room. Ever so gently I creeped back and left it alone. ;)
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

Skunks? No, thank you. I don't practice vertical shots because I've pretty much given up on stands, so no need for them. Beans and bees? You must be in a whole different league of shooters.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Deer hunting tips and tactics”