G. Fred Asbell Pathfinder Wool pullover

Forum rules
Be fair.
Bearded Bowhunter

G. Fred Asbell Pathfinder Wool pullover

#1 Post by Bearded Bowhunter »

Wanted to offer up a review in case anyone else is on the fence about one of these.

First off, I bought the Pathfinfer 1/2 Zip Pullover in Montana Magic Pattern. Size XL (Extra heavy weight wool) I am 6'1'', 212lbs. Jacket size 46L or 48L depending on cut, and have a 34-36 waist, depending on cut, so you have an idea on how this might fit you. They have a sizing chart on the website that is pretty accurate, if youre honest about sizes haha.

First impressions were mixed. While I thought the construction, stitching, fit, and design were great, I thought the wool would be thicker. Its was thick, but I guess I thought it would be a bit thicker.
After shooting with it on though, I knew it was perfect, and my thickness concerns were gone. And warmth is no problem either. Was shooting at dusk with about 7-10mph wind at about 50deg with just a t shirt under it and was very comfy.

The oversized hood is big enough for any hat you would want to wear, and doubles as insulation for the back and sides of your neck if you leave it down. The half zip is well worth the few extra bucks IMO.

I have pretty long arms--- my dress shirts are 35-36'' sleeve with a 17 1/2'' neck--- and these were perfect! Def designed with the archer in mind. They dont bunch up at the wrist, but dont pull halfway up your arm when you reach over your head...they seem to always stay at my wrist...love that!

There is enough room to put a few layers on underneath, but its not too bulky.

The kangaroo pocket up front is great, and the smaller zipper pocket is very handy.

Now---down to brass tacks. I bought this to hunt in. It needs to be silent when I move, and unrestrictive when I draw.
It is both. In fact, Ive never had a jacket the doesnt effect my draw in some way, until this. NO tension on any part of my drawing arm. No string slap on the sleeve. No sound during the draw.

Honestly, I cant think of much of anything to improve this. It has its drawbacks, due to material, but for what it is, its just about perfect. It's not waterproof, and its not windproof, but it will stay warm even when soaked, and does block some wind.
Bear Grizzly 58'' 50#@28"
Samick Sage Takedown 60" 50#@28"

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: G. Fred Asbell Pathfinder Wool pullover

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Thanks for the honest and thorough review!
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#3 Post by stumper »

I have really been wanting one of these.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

Sounds very comfortable and nice!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Bearded Bowhunter

#5 Post by Bearded Bowhunter »

Thanks, Kirk

Dave- I was eyeballing them for a good while... I actually asked for it for an early Christmas present...I do it every year haha. Im very happy with it so far. To get something that is totally handmade by Americans, and made with American materials at that price...pretty good deal IMO. There are other bushcraft type wool anoraks similar to the ones asbell makes and they charge more than double in some cases.

Gamestalker

#6 Post by Gamestalker »

I just checked out the web site for them.
http://www.gfredasbell.com/gfa_wool_clothing.php
I have a wool pull over more like the longhunter shirt. I don't really like hoods too much.

By the way.... do any of you guys recognize who the model is for the longhunter shirt?

Bearded Bowhunter

#7 Post by Bearded Bowhunter »

Al, I don't know the guy in the shirt, but I do know you can call and order any model they make without a hood. They are all made to order

Gamestalker

#8 Post by Gamestalker »

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for when I need to replace the one I've got.

I thought sure one of the older guys here would know who that is....

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

Spill it!
Aim small, miss small!

Gamestalker

#10 Post by Gamestalker »

It's..... naw, I'll wait a while. :mrgreen:
Somebody's got to know. He's quite well known. He developed & sells these....

Return to “Product Review”