One year later. (Slick Stick)

Forum rules
Be fair.
stumper

One year later. (Slick Stick)

#1 Post by stumper »

It has been a crazy year for me. The last year has seen a huge investment into traditional archery that I never thought would be possible. I noticed the other day that it has more then a year since I received my slick stick bow from Bodnik archery in the mail. This bow is epitamy of simple, bamboo limbs (clear glass) and a riser that is made of beautiful action wood Stained charcoal gray (brown and bubinga also offered). For 360 bucks you get the simple bow, bow sock, string and a lifetime warranty (transferable to anyone who buys the bow, they guarantee the bow no matter who uses it).

While have many custom bows now this bow is still shot on a regular basis. Why? It’s simple, the bow is one of the quietest bows I’ve ever shot. Additionally at 58 inches it’s relatively short easy to maneuver and weighs less than a pound. Yet the bamboo lambs ensure that it launches an arrow with absolute authority. I love bear archery but it is hard for me to recommend one of their bows nowadays when a slick stick It’s $50 less and comes with a lifetime warranty versus a one year warranty. Suffice it to say the Bodnik bow is hands down the best production bow I have ever shot. The grip also deserves special mention as it is the most comfortable of any bow I have ever handled period and is the reason I am in love with the late 50’s early 60’s grip style. This slick stick is now even offered in a recurve. Bodnik archery offers take down bows, longbows, recurves and any other type of oh you can imagine including custom.

In addition to the way it shoots I’m not afraid to get this bow dirty. My bow sustained an injury to the limb last year that would’ve crippled most. But I am now more than 2000 shots pass to the injury with a simple dot of super glue and nothing to report. Henry the owner of the company even states that are properly glued up bow should not be ruined by a single dry fire and the company has dry fired one of their bows more than 100 times with no ill effect.

What more needs to be said. The bow is simple, beautiful, quiet, shoots like a dream, and is affordable.

A year ago I also tested the black glove also by bear paw or Bodnik archery. This club is made of a synthetic material and is meant to be all weather. You’ll see it in one of the photos below. A year later the Velcro has worn out on my original glove leather gloves shows little sign of where itself. But at $14 I went ahead and just bought another one. To me the black glove offers the best blend of protection for your hand yet thin enough to feel the string. This glove is made of a synthetic material and is meant to be all weather. You’ll see it in one of the photos below. A year later the Velcro has worn out on my original glove leather glove shows little sign of where itself. But at $14 I went ahead and just bought another one. To me the black glove offers the best blend of protection for your hand yet thin enough to feel the string. Since using the black glove I have tried other leather gloves and find them too thick for my liking. I also bought one of their budget quivers for $30 which I am still using to this day. I think the bottom line is that bear paw archery a.k.a. bodnik is offering affordable gear that works and lasts. I also use their arrowshaft and feathers which I believe are made of Spruce and are far cheaper than their cedar counterparts at $28 a dozen hand spined and weight +-5 grains.

It should be noted that I have no affiliation with this company.
Attachments
53E48791-EE4F-462B-B08D-D43810EC9634.jpeg
53E48791-EE4F-462B-B08D-D43810EC9634.jpeg (154.37 KiB) Viewed 546 times
716DF792-4182-4C6A-9C17-4EF24CF515AF.jpeg
716DF792-4182-4C6A-9C17-4EF24CF515AF.jpeg (235.74 KiB) Viewed 546 times
C0003947-F4F5-4E0A-A651-1739863ADCF5.jpeg
C0003947-F4F5-4E0A-A651-1739863ADCF5.jpeg (167.35 KiB) Viewed 546 times
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: One year later. (Slick Stick)

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Nice write-up and review...thanks!
Aim small, miss small!

Caddo

#3 Post by Caddo »

Good Review! I picked up a Bearpaw Mohawk Hybrid Longbow a while ago. Good shooter also, Smooth, quiet and pretty quick. I'm more than pleased, definitely affordable too! I've also been shooting their Bearpaw Summer glove. It's a little on the thin side so it's not real good for prolonged shooting, but it's great to hunt with and 20-30 practice arrows. I just tried one of their Speed gloves and really like it, got one on order. Bearpaw puts out some quality items and affordable prices!

LD

stumper

#4 Post by stumper »

Caddo wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:14 pm Good Review! I picked up a Bearpaw Mohawk Hybrid Longbow a while ago. Good shooter also, Smooth, quiet and pretty quick. I'm more than pleased, definitely affordable too!
I have thought about the Mohawk for quite some time. Having interchangeable limbs and being able to go from longbow to recurve really interests me. And if you want to go lefty just pick up an extra riser. It’s tempting.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

#5 Post by Graps »

Nice review.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

Can’t say about the bow (unless you send it) but just finished shooting with one of those gloves, I do like it. I am a thin glove user, got a Damascus also, but hunting or taking few shots in yard, I shoot bare fingers.

Elkman
Site Admin

#7 Post by Elkman »

Very nice review Dave.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#8 Post by Carpdaddy »

Okay now; you got to know that some dummy is going to ask about the second picture, ME!
1) What is on the tip of your arrow?
2) Is that some type of high falutine scope on the bow?
3) Are you shooting toward the house rather than away from it? I see a window on one side and a door on the other! Help?? 💡🎯 LOL

Greg Felty

#9 Post by Greg Felty »

Carpdaddy wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:41 pm Okay now; you got to know that some dummy is going to ask about the second picture, ME!
1) What is on the tip of your arrow?
2) Is that some type of high falutine scope on the bow?
3) Are you shooting toward the house rather than away from it? I see a window on one side and a door on the other! Help?? 💡🎯 LOL
The high falutine scope looks like a string tracker. Who makes the string tracker and how good is it? I have been thinking about one.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#10 Post by Carpdaddy »

Never used a string tracker but the videos by Jose makes me curious. Graps can answer that question Greg.

Return to “Product Review”