Thermacell

Forum rules
Be fair.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Thermacell

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

When I first heard a couple guys talking about "Thermacells" , long underwear came to mind.
Well, in warmer weather or climates, this thing can be as valuable as long johns in winter weather!
What is a 'Thermacell', exactly? Well, it's a small, butane powered bug repeller. You insert a strip into the grid, screw in the butane bottle, and click the igniter button a few times, then set it on the ground or on/in your stand. Within a few minutes, the TC has created a dome around you that keeps the majority, if not all, mosquitoes, deer flies and other irritating bugs away while you hunt. Yes, it's supposedly odorless. You can buy fall woods scent repellent as well if you choose. I could not have sat out for 2 evenings without this thing unless I had totally doused myself with DEET, so I reckon it paid for itself already! I paid under $30.00 at Bass Pro for the camo version, which included 3 repellent strips (good for 4 hours each) and one screw-in butane bottle (also good for 4 hours+). I used mine two days running (4+ hours each day) and I'm still on the first strip and have butane left to spare.
If you are an early season hunter or hunt in warmer climates, you really owe it to yourself to check it out. This thing really saved my bacon this year!
I will post more with pix when I get the chance.
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

Re: Thermacell

#2 Post by stumper »

Life and sanity saver.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

stumper wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:11 pm Life and sanity saver.
You can say that again! 8-)
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#4 Post by Graps »

Couldn't bear hunt without mine.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Grizzly

#5 Post by Grizzly »

I wonder how well it works in the spring when the gnats swarm :?:

I was crappy fishing after having to stop hunting turkeys at noon and those gnats were so bad my face was glowing. Glad I had some Benedryl around.

I may have one in storage somewhere. I'll have to look when I transfer all that "stuff" to the loft in my new shed.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Here are a few pix of the Thermacell:

You can see the repellent strip is beginning to whiten, indicating it's nearly 'done for'...this after two evenings sitting! It lasted way more than the recommended 4 hours! There is still half a bottle of butane left as well.

Close-up of the repellent strip. Mine came with three strips and a butane bottle.You can see the white creeping in.

Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Grizzly wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:18 pm I wonder how well it works in the spring when the gnats swarm :?:
Offhand, my guess would be that it would beat the snot out of NOT having one... 8-)
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#8 Post by Graps »

I'm sure it would work great.
I think it repels all bugs.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Hill billy

#9 Post by Hill billy »

I have used the thermacell for about 15 years. Ig they will keep the bugs off in canada on a spring bear hunt they should work anywhere. I live in the delta area and have used them at times to get evening shoots in or work on equipment in the shop. Not so much now that i live a ways from the flat land but there was a day i used it on a weekly basis. No gimmick it works.

Return to “Product Review”