DIY folding hard top tonneau cover for pickup truck bed

For all the things we make ourselves for the outdoor world that are not covered in the other specific DIY area.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: DIY folding hard top tonneau cover for pickup truck bed

#11 Post by Carpdaddy »

Nice! Your fancy as a downtown dog.

Gamestalker

#12 Post by Gamestalker »

Looks good.
How about a few pic's of the finished product on the truck.... closed, open, etc.?

Ron Kulas

#13 Post by Ron Kulas »

I hope to finish it this weekend. We have been experiencing a lot of rain lately so its good that I had the logo painting to do. I finished all the logos painting last night and have the weekend to attach this thing to the truck.
The Joy is in the doing.

Ron Kulas

#14 Post by Ron Kulas »

While the primary concern and reason for this project is bed security we hope to make the folding cover as weatherproof as possible considering the fact that we have 3 sections and hinged jointsgaps. To make sure the seams are as small as possible the hinges were recessed in the wood.

To further discourage rain from entering through the hinge seam we thought the gap could be filled with flexible silicone rubber caulk. In order to make the seal as tight as possible the plan is to use a caulk gun to apply a bead (or beads) of caulk to one of the sides of the hinged joint and then close the cover causing the caulk to ooze out and fill the gap. To prevent the caulk from sticking to the other half of the joint, we applied a couple coats of paste furniture wax and buffed it. Once cured, the gap would be filled with flexible rubber and it wont stick to the waxed side of the joint.

The perimeter of the sections that come in contact with the side of the truck bed will get adhesive backed, rubber weather-stripping. This will quiet the vibration/noise that would otherwise occur between the hard plastic and the painted wood. It will help keep the paint from being abraded and will provide additional sealing from rain. It pretty cheap so if it wears it can easily be replaced.

Keeping the sections closed will be done with spring loaded plungers. We picked up a 10 pack on Ebay for $8. They have a lengthy throw distance but the handles were on the small side so we increased the size of the handles with short sections of micro diameter arrow shafting and J.B. weld. The nose of the retractable plungers will fit into holes we drilled through the hard plastic bed liner and metal of the bed. We used a 1/4" drill.

Because the sections fold onto one another I cant have a hard handle so we fashioned a handle from left over webbing.

The finished weight is 55 Lbs so its easy enough for one person to remove.

Here is a video showing how to install and remove the cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOkdUmA79W4
The Joy is in the doing.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#15 Post by Carpdaddy »

Great work Ron, above and beyond, you've gone the extra mile on this project, it should serve you well. Looks good also.

Ron Kulas

#16 Post by Ron Kulas »

I took it up to 70 MPH this morning and its still attached to the truck. :D
The Joy is in the doing.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#17 Post by Carpdaddy »

Stay Sharp wrote:I took it up to 70 MPH this morning and its still attached to the truck. :D
:lol: Looks better on the truck than it would across the hood of a passing car or in someone's yard! :lol:

Gamestalker

#18 Post by Gamestalker »

Nice job.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#19 Post by Captainkirk »

We have full confidence in your skills, Ron!
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “DIY section”