The storage shed project

For all the things we make ourselves for the outdoor world that are not covered in the other specific DIY area.
Ron Kulas

The storage shed project

#1 Post by Ron Kulas »

Now that we are back from our 4th of July trip it’s time to start a storage shed project that been on the back burner for a while. The wife wants the garage back and we need a better storage area for all the ladder and chain on tree stands and climbing sticks and deer decoys and other hunting gear and yard tools. We designed the shed and gathered all the building materials before the holiday. Its going to be a 12 x 12 shed with a roofed overhang on one side. The shed will have 8 foot walls and a couple windows. It will have double doors, a ramp for the riding mower and a roof vent because sheds can get pretty hot inside. The plan is to work on the shed in the afternoon/evenings after work each day as weather allows. I’ll use this space to detail the project as we make progress. Here is a drawing of the shed we designed and used to generate the bill of materials.

The Joy is in the doing.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: The storage shed project

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Oh man; I need one of those so bad!! If you want to do a practice build before starting yours just come my way!! :lol: :lol:

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Me too! In fact, I have one on the back burner in 'planning mode' so I will be watching this thread with keen interest, especially to see if you have cost overruns (as is usually the case) and if so, by how much.
Aim small, miss small!

Ron Kulas

#4 Post by Ron Kulas »

No overruns. I expect it to cost $2000. I have everything bought now for the project.
The Joy is in the doing.

Ron Kulas

#5 Post by Ron Kulas »

Step one is sight prep. The shed will be tucked along the edge of some trees in the yard so branch trimming needs to be done to make room for the shed. The building permit is issued and digger’s hotline has marked the area. Each weekday after work (weather permitting) I should get about 5 hours to work on the project. More on the weekends.

The Joy is in the doing.

Ron Kulas

#6 Post by Ron Kulas »

I dug away the topsoil and backfilled with crushed paver base and tamped it down and leveled all the pavers. Then the treated 4 x 4’s were laid on the pavers and the floor joists on top of that. The sun went away and the mosquitos came out in full force but it’s a good start.

The Joy is in the doing.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#7 Post by Carpdaddy »

Real good start I'd say. The smoke from the green pine limbs burning should have rid the state of skeeters!! :lol:

Ron Kulas

#8 Post by Ron Kulas »

The next step is nailing in all the floor joist braces which provide support/spacing and nailing for the floor decking. The floor is ¾ plywood with tongue and groove edging to lock it all together. The big flat deck is the perfect place to build the trusses needed for the roof. There was still daylight so I built a jig for the 7 trusses and had time to build the first truss. 6 more to go but that’s for another day as I’m out of light.

The Joy is in the doing.

Ron Kulas

#9 Post by Ron Kulas »

All 7 trusses are finished and will be set aside waiting for the walls to go up.

Then it was time to build and raise the walls

The Joy is in the doing.

Kybownut

#10 Post by Kybownut »

Looks like you're moving right along. Looking good Ron.

Return to “DIY section”