The storage shed project

For all the things we make ourselves for the outdoor world that are not covered in the other specific DIY area.
Ron Kulas

Re: The storage shed project

#11 Post by Ron Kulas »

Because the roofed overhang on the west side will make it challenging to raise the fiber/cement siding, we installed those 3 sheets before raising the trusses. The Fiber Cement siding sheets are heavy (80 Lbs each).

Then we were good to go raising the 7 trusses. That used up the rest of the daylight. We still need to brace all the trusses but that is for another day.

The Joy is in the doing.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#12 Post by Captainkirk »

Great progress, Ron!
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#13 Post by Carpdaddy »

Won't be long until I can move in!

Ron Kulas

#14 Post by Ron Kulas »

All the trusses are braced and reinforced.

In order to work safe while installing the roof decking and later shingling, we built a temporary scaffolding. (Ladders suck) Then it was time to trim the truss tails and install sub facia. Having scaffolding helps in doing a straight and square job that shows up when viewed from the ground.

The Joy is in the doing.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#15 Post by Captainkirk »

OK, this is not a 'shed'. This is a 'cabin'.
Aim small, miss small!

Ron Kulas

#16 Post by Ron Kulas »

That is what my wife said. If this were in Alaska, this would be a dwelling.
The Joy is in the doing.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#17 Post by Carpdaddy »

Did you build those trusses yourself or buy them? In this area they use a metal plate saving time, nails, and work. I like the plywood plates & braces better, just curious if they sell them that way there. Looks like it's braced well, should be there longer than most of us.

Ron Kulas

#18 Post by Ron Kulas »

I designed the trusses myself and built them myself. The plywood mending plates were installed with construction adhesive and nails. The metal mending plates are fine but I had lots of plywood pieces on hand.
The Joy is in the doing.

Ron Kulas

#19 Post by Ron Kulas »

Before we can shingle we have to install the metal drip edge. Before the metal drip edge is the final trim, before the final trim is the facia and soffit trim and none of that can be installed until more siding is installed so that where we focused our efforts next. Aside from hot dip galvanized nails, the sheets of fiber cement siding are also attached with construction adhesive. Then the first trim boards were installed along the roof line and all the seams between the sheets of cement board siding were caulked. While we were in trim mode we added some of the vert. corner trim and final roof edge trim pieces. Then all the trim was given two coats of exterior paint.

The Joy is in the doing.

Ron Kulas

#20 Post by Ron Kulas »

The metal drip edge is installed which means we are ready to start shingling the roof.

We look forward to the weekends because it affords a lot of time to work on the shed. The weather doesn’t care so we suffered a rain delay.

We looked out the window and saw the local inspector checking out the progress.

When everything dried up we build more temporary scaffolding so we can safely work on the roofing.

The hole in the roof for the vent.

The back side is complete.

Nice straight lines.

The Joy is in the doing.

Return to “DIY section”