The M.T.A.B.S. hunting seat

For all the things we make ourselves for the outdoor world that are not covered in the other specific DIY area.
Ron Kulas

The M.T.A.B.S. hunting seat

#1 Post by Ron Kulas »

I like to hunt from the ground in natural debris blinds and pop ups at times but I don’t like the available options for ground blind chairs. I hunt river bottoms that are soft ground so chair legs sink which means the need to also haul in some sort of flooring material. Couple that with the fact that chairs are clumsy to haul and expensive (Some are really expensive). I don’t care for a stool because stools offer no back rest and stools are not comfortable because of that fact so any chair I use has to have a back rest. Most stools with back rest also include arms but arms get in the way of drawing a bow so it cant have armrests. It has to be easy to carry and light weight and cheap so when its stolen, I'm not out anything.

As part of a DIY, problem solving group, Ive been looking for a simple, low cost seat for all manner of ground hunting for spring turkey, bear, deer and things like stream-side and Ice fishing, camping, berry and shroom picking, and any other use where a ready seat would be handy. A comfy, reliable seat that we can make ourselves that is really cheap since its likely to be stolen if left unattended.If your bucket is full you can sling the seat over your shoulder.

This is the M.T.A.B.S.

“Multi-function” (Because you can carry your lunch and thermos and other gear in and deer heart and mushrooms and berries and small game or fish out with you)
“Tactical” (Because its painted black and its used for hunting so now-a-days, that makes it “Tactical”.)
“All Terrain” (Because it sounds cool and it can really be used in all terrains)
“Bucket” (Because it uses a 5 gallon bucket)
“Seat” (Do I really need to explain this part?)

Its made of plywood and offers a back rest. The parts fit in the bucket. Its light weight and the cost of scrap plus paint.

The Joy is in the doing.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: The M.T.A.B.S. hunting seat

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

I've heard of "bucket seats" before but not like this. Cool idea, I know a few fellows who already use a five gallon bucket. Looks good (Other than the goomer sitting on the bucket) :lol:

Ron Kulas

#3 Post by Ron Kulas »

My son would not pose so he took the pic. Its the best we could do with what we had to work with.
The Joy is in the doing.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

Mans gotta do what he's gotta do! Lol. Still good idea, Wally-world sells one with just the top but no back rest, yours should be better for us old folks.

Ron Kulas

#5 Post by Ron Kulas »

The back rest is key to comfort.
The Joy is in the doing.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

All you are missing is the cushion. My back and sciatica would be screaming bloody murder after about 15 minutes. But I'm sure one could be easily added to the seat bottom. Great idea!
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#7 Post by Carpdaddy »

Captainkirk wrote:All you are missing is the cushion. My back and sciatica would be screaming bloody murder after about 15 minutes. But I'm sure one could be easily added to the seat bottom. Great idea!
I have a couple I picked up for under $5, be an easy glue on.

Ron Kulas

#8 Post by Ron Kulas »

That will be added but It would have blocked the seat and made the concept perhaps confusing in pictures.
The Joy is in the doing.

Shadowhntr

#9 Post by Shadowhntr »

hmmmmmmm. Ground blind thinks it likes!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Ron Kulas

#10 Post by Ron Kulas »

Ive been asked by people wanting to make their own M.T.A.B.S. seat for dimensions. Please accept this crude drawing.

The Joy is in the doing.

Return to “DIY section”