OH NO!!! You whitened the antlers by mistake!!

For all the things we make ourselves for the outdoor world that are not covered in the other specific DIY area.
Ron Kulas

OH NO!!! You whitened the antlers by mistake!!

#1 Post by Ron Kulas »

So your cleaning that deer skull for your first Euro mount and you get sloppy and got the 40 volume peroxide on the antlers by mistake and whitened the antlers as well as the skull. Now what? I have found that stains and dyes just don't cut it with antlers and the color match is never quite right. A long time ago I had heard about a common hardware store item working well to re-color antlers. I had some of this on hand for Boy Scout uses as an antiseptic, water purifier and fire starter (when mixed with anti-freeze or soap or sugar water, etc). Way back in the day it was part of a boy scout first aid kit until it was discovered that if accidentally mixed with the glycerin soap in the first aid kit that it would start on fire (just like mixing it with anti freeze) The product is called Potassium Permanganate. Its used today by those with a green sand water filters as an oxidizer.

http://ronkulas.proboards.com/thread/20 ... ed-antlers
The Joy is in the doing.

Shadowhntr

Re: OH NO!!! You whitened the antlers by mistake!!

#2 Post by Shadowhntr »

Great tip Ron! Hopefully I wont be needing it, but accidents do happen. Its nice to know there is help out there if its needed.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Ole Dave

Re: OH NO!!! You whitened the antlers by mistake!!

#3 Post by Ole Dave »

Nice to have something to try to do a skull mount... I could likely skull mount one of the groundhogs I whack down by neighbor's barn, eh? :)

You guys do nice work!
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Return to “DIY section”