European Skull mount....FINISHED!

For all the things we make ourselves for the outdoor world that are not covered in the other specific DIY area.
Shadowhntr

European Skull mount....FINISHED!

#1 Post by Shadowhntr »

As some of you may recall in a prior thread I started, My youngest son Wyatt was really wanting a Momentum in order to honor his fist whitetail buck ever, and with longbow. I'd suggested a skull mount, and we took on the task. Well, today, he went up on the wall. Im pretty happy with him, considering it was a very stubborn skull to work with. Anyone working with skulls knows what I mean. Mama isn't too thrilled about it in our living room, but she will have to get over it, Cause that boy deserves to see his mount openly, not in some pinned up bedroom. lol!

The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Ole Dave

Re: European Skull mount....FINISHED!

#2 Post by Ole Dave »

I like em, but they do have a bit of a ghoulish look to a woman I suspect. You done good.

You going to tell where you bought the wall mount? Hard to attach to skull?
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

Nice; looks like it turned out good. But surely you know Momma is gonna win eventually!

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

Well, my plea, is that he will be moving out in a few short years more then likely. He will take it with him when he goes.

The wall mount is as simple as it gets. A couple wood screws for the wall, and tighten a couple bolt/nut combos in one of 12 angle option holes. I like it because the skull just sits in there, and can be taken on and off fairly easily because it uses a wedging system and gravity in the natural build of skulls. On and off in seconds, yet holds it very securely. It adjust both up and down, as well as can be swung left and right.

Skull Hooker, Little hooker is for deer.

https://www.skullhooker.com/product/little-hooker/

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

Shadowhntr wrote:As some of you may recall in a prior thread I started, My youngest son Wyatt was really wanting a Momentum in order to honor his fist whitetail buck ever, and with longbow. I'd suggested a skull mount, and we took on the task. Well, today, he went up on the wall.
I think it looks darned good! :mrgreen:

Shadowhntr wrote: Mama isn't too thrilled about it in our living room, but she will have to get over it, Cause that boy deserves to see his mount openly, not in some pinned up bedroom. lol!
I agree. I probably would have lost that argument in our house, though. I'm glad I have a den for that sort of foolishness!
Aim small, miss small!

LOTW

#6 Post by LOTW »

Looks great!

Jamesh76

#7 Post by Jamesh76 »

looks.good. what did u use for a whitener?

Shadowhntr

#8 Post by Shadowhntr »

For the actual whitener 40 vol peroxide mainly, but had to add 3% and a little water. To get it as good as I could though, I had to use a substantial amount of degreasing and stain removers. Including...Dawn dish soap, borax, oxyclean, baking soda, and lots of soaking.

Shadowhntr

#9 Post by Shadowhntr »

This skull was VERY stubborn. Yellowing, grease spots, and dark areas were horrible. The deer is one of them kind that arent typical, even his fat was very dark yellow and has a bit of a strongish flavor to the meat. Still good enough, but there is a difference. Most deer I am around have off white fat....not this sucker. His teeth show signs of being older then i had suspected. Part of his bone around one tooth and starting up his face had deteriorated away and formed a permanent abcess. It was a bear to work with. The whole skull was a bugger.

Mohawk

#10 Post by Mohawk »

Looks fantastic! I'll bet Wyatt is pleased with that! Are those some random tool marks I see? :twisted:

Return to “DIY section”